You are reading

City Aids 139 Homeless People Found on the Subway Last Night

A homeless person sleeps on the E train (Wikimedia Commons/ Jess Hawsor / CC BY-SA)

May 6, 2020 By Allie Griffin

City workers convinced 139 homeless New Yorkers sleeping in subway cars and stations last night to take refuge at city shelters.

NYPD and MTA officers, along with outreach workers, found 242 homeless people in the subways and stations when trains were closed early this morning from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. Each was offered assistance in finding a bed and 139 took the offer.

Mayor Bill de Blasio praised the success of the outreach effort on the first morning of the new nightly closures during the coronavirus pandemic.

“More than half of the people encountered and engaged, agreed to leave the subways, to leave the streets and come in and that’s an amazing reality to begin with,” de Blasio said.

The 139 people have been moved into safe havens and congregant shelters, he said.

Governor Andrew Cuomo and the mayor announced last week that subway service would end each day from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. so cleaning crews can disinfect each subway car and station amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Many elected officials have complained that homeless New Yorkers have taken over the subways as ridership has dramatically reduced with people staying home during the health crisis.

The overnight shutdown means all New Yorkers, including the homeless, must vacate the subways and stations during the specified hours.

Social Services Commissioner Steven Banks did note, however, that some of the homeless people they helped last night will return to the subway.

“Some people may return, but we’ll be back every night, offering that helping hand to bring them off the streets,” Banks said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Taxman Cometh

Hire these homeless individuals to clean and sanitize the MTA system and parks. You’ll solve two problems with one solution. Give a homeless person income and sanitize contaminated areas. Win/Win.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.