You are reading

City Council Approves Expansion of the Flushing Business Improvement District

Flushing BID’s 2017 street festival. This festival is held annually, typically at the end of summer. (Source: Flushing BID)

April 23, 2020 By Christian Murray

The city council passed legislation yesterday that will see the Flushing Business Improvement District get a whole lot bigger.

The Flushing BID, which currently incorporates properties along Main Street from Northern Boulevard to Sanford Avenue, will now include properties along Roosevelt Avenue—from College Point to Union Street.

The BID will bring its supplemental sanitation and marketing services to the expanded district. It will also spend funds on beautifying the additional streets.

The expansion comes at a time when small businesses in downtown Flushing are suffering from the economic fallout of COVID-19. The BID will have a much bigger budget to spend in the greater area. Its annual funding will go from $380,000 to about $1 million.

Council Member Peter Koo, who sponsored the legislation for the BID expansion, said the added services will help businesses get back on their feet after the shutdown is lifted.

“After this crisis is over, we will need to act quickly to revitalize those businesses through marketing and other support services,” he said.

The BID’s budget is primarily generated through fees levied on property owners. Those fees are typically passed onto their tenants and are added to their rent.

Dian Yu, the Flushing BID’s executive director, said earlier this year that about 70 percent of the businesses in the new zone would be paying less than $1,000 in BID fees annually.

The expansion has been years in the making.

Yu said that he had spent five years to gain the support of 51 percent of the property owners on the blocks where the district is being expanded–-as required by the city.

The expansion had the backing of the local community board.

Community Board 7, in an advisory role, supported the BID’s plan in a vote last June.

Yu anticipates the BID expansion to go into effect by July.

Right now, the BID includes Main Street between Northern Boulevard and Sanford Avenue, 40th Road from Main to Prince Street, Roosevelt Avenue from Union Street to College Point Boulevard, Kissena Boulevard from Sanford to 41st Avenue and 39th Avenue from Main to College Point.

Under the expansion, the BID would cover Main from Northern to Franklin Avenue, 37th Avenue from College Point to Union, Union from 37th to Roosevelt, 138th Street from 37th to 39th Avenue, Prince from 30th Avenue to 40th Road, 38th Avenue from Prince to Union, 41st Road from College Point to Main and 41st Avenue from College Point to Main.

Source: Office of Council Member Peter Koo

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.