You are reading

Composto Back in the Running For Superintendent, Townhall With Finalists Scheduled Friday

Chancellor David Banks takes questions from the press after giving a speech at Tweed Courthouse, the education department’s downtown Manhattan headquarters, laying out his vision for New York City Schools. (Photo: Christina Veiga)

May 17, 2022 By Christian Murray and Czarinna Andres

The Department of Education has reversed course and will allow Dr. Philip Composto, the current superintendent of District 30, the opportunity to keep his job.

The announcement comes less than a week after Composto was unceremoniously notified that he was no longer wanted for the position. Many superintendents across the city were handed pink slips last week because the school chancellor asked all 45 superintendents to reapply for their positions as the DOE looks to expand the role.

The city had selected finalists for each of the position, and many incumbents– such as Composto– were told they were out of the running. The finalists are to go before parents and the community as part of the hiring process.

The city received pushback from parents about their ousting of incumbents and in School District 30 parents and elected leaders were outraged. Elected leaders held a rally in Astoria on Friday in support of Composto and parents put together a petition that garnered more than 3,000 signatures calling for his reinstatement They also said at the very least he deserved a chance to be a finalist.

Dr. Composto (NYC Kids Rise)

The District 30 superintendent’s role is to oversee the elementary and middle schools in the district, which covers Astoria, Corona, East Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Sunnyside and parts of Woodside.

Chancellor David Banks issued a statement Monday saying that the DOE wanted to work with parents across the city and the superintendents would be deemed finalists.

“The central pillar of this administration is parent and community engagement and … we are inviting all incumbent superintendents to be interviewed as part of the community process,” Banks said.

“When I make the final determination of who will serve all students in each district, that decision will combine the passionate feedback of parents and community members and each candidate’s ability to articulate a comprehensive vision for the future.”

Council Member Tiffany Caban said that she was encouraged by the fact that the DOE listened to the public.

“I’m very glad to see that the community’s outpouring of revulsion of the process is moving decision-makers to revise their approach,” Caban said.

She also believes that Composto has a realistic chance of retaining his position given the flood of support for him.

“I believe that he has a genuine shot at the job, because the community demands it,” she said.

Councilmember Julie Won said she was glad that the DOE has made room for Composto to be a finalist. She said she strongly supports his inclusion and the democratic process.

The DOE has named the finalists for District 30, which include Composto, David Cintron, Erika Tobia and Rafael Alvarez.

A town hall meeting for District 30 will take place this Friday, May 20 that will include the candidates. It will take place at 5 p.m.

The DOE is asking the public to submit questions for the candidates by Wednesday, May 18th at 5:00 PM.

Deborah Alexander speaking at a rally in Astoria Friday in suppport of Composto (Photo: courtesy of State Sen. Mike Gianaris)

Deborah Alexander, a member of the District 30 CEC, said she was “thrilled that the DOE had listened to the community” and has allowed Composto to be in the running. She said she is hopeful that the DOE will listen to parents and that their feedback will be taken into consideration when the new superintendent is named.

She said that she only learned of who the finalists were for the position on Monday, with the DOE providing no information on who each of the candidates are.

“Our friend Google—that’s how I have learned about them–would have been nice to get some information,” Alexander said. Excluding Composto, she said, the candidates are all high-ranking school officials from the Bronx who are held in high regard.

She said that the CEC has no idea as to the criteria that the DOE used to determined the finalists.

She said that the turnaround time for the public to submit questions and familiarize themselves with the candidates was very limited. She said that public will have 30 minutes for feedback as part of the townhall.

But Alexander said that she was encouraged that the DOE did change course on permitting Composto to be a finalist.

“I am really glad that the chancellor didn’t dig his heels in and listened to parents. The fact that they were willing to listen gives me hope for this administration.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Public Library celebrates Black History Month with nearly 150 programs highlighting Black resistance, culture

Feb. 2, 2023 By Carlotta Mohamed

Throughout February, Queens Public Library will celebrate “Black Resistance” — the theme of its 2023 Black History Month observance — with nearly 150 comprehensive programs and initiatives, including theater performances, author talks and art workshops for all ages, spotlighting various aspects of Black heritage, culture and resilience. 

Popular places where you can watch the big game in Queens

Feb. 2, 2023 By Tammy Scileppi

Hey, football fans! Game time is fast approaching, and across the city and here in Queens, you can feel the excitement brewing as the two teams prepare to take the field on Super Sunday, Feb. 12. So, kick back and watch the big game, and don’t miss Rihanna’s exciting performance during halftime. 

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘Limitless possibility’: BP Richards announces community visioning workshops on redevelopment of Creedmoor Psychiatric Center campus in Queens Village

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. and Empire State Development on Tuesday, Jan. 31, announced the launch of a series of community visioning workshops that will be held to hear input from eastern Queens residents about the redevelopment of the 50-acre Creedmoor Psychiatric Center campus in Queens Village. 

The first community visioning workshop will be held on Thursday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m. at P.S./I.S. 208 located at 74-30 Commonwealth Blvd. in Glen Oaks.

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.