You are reading

Constantinides Expected to Leave Office Before Term Ends: Report

Costa Constantinides delivering his State of the District address on Zoom earlier this month (Photo: Queens Post)

Jan. 26, 2021 By Christina Santucci

Council Member Costa Constantinides is reportedly going to leave office before his Council term ends in December, City & State reported today.

The well-respected political publication reported in its newsletter this morning that it had heard from three sources that he planned to resign and leave office.

A source also told the Queens Post that he was likely to step down, although not anytime soon.

A spokesperson for Constantinides did not confirm or deny the reports when called by the Queens Post. His office instead issued a general statement.

“Council Member Constantinides is focused on serving the people of District 22 and working to pass comprehensive climate and resiliency legislation in his remaining time in office,” the statement read.

Constantinides’ current term is scheduled to conclude at the end of the year, and he can not run again due to term limits. His district includes Astoria, parts of Jackson Heights, Woodside and East Elmhurst as well as Rikers Island.

“It’s been my honor to serve the community I grew up in. I have a lot more to do before I leave office both in the district and for our environment. Just finished a hearing on air quality so nothing to report,” he wrote on Twitter Tuesday afternoon.

Constantinides and his wife both contracted COVID-19 in April, and they were both hospitalized for a time as they battled the virus.

“It was a really scary time… a very scary moment in our home,” he said in late April during a Facebook Live event.

On Tuesday afternoon, Constantinides responded to a Twitter message, saying “I’ve been doing telehealth with [Mount Sinai Health System] post-COVID center for a few months. They have helped me so much. Feeling [a lot] better than I was. Not 100% but way closer than in mid-2020.”

If Constantinides were to step down, it could trigger a special election for his seat, a spokesperson for the City’s Board of Elections said. A primary and general election for the seat are already scheduled for June 22 and Nov. 2 respectively.

Campaign finance listings show that there are several candidates vying for the District 22 position, the list currently includes Tiffany Cabán, Evie Hantzopoulos, Leonardo Bullaro, Felicia Kalan and Nick Velkov.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Dan the Man

Ok , will he takes his wooden podium with him or lead it for his successor. Also he seemed like an okay gentleman but wish that he had done more to clean up 31st street between 23rd avd and Ditmars . Oh wow also I really wish he had done something to keep Key Food open , the seniors are really struggling to get to another supermarket.

1
1
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.