You are reading

Council Member Constantinides to Leave Office to Take Job in Nonprofit Sector

Queens Council Member Costa Constantinides (NYC Council)

March 31, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Costa Constantinides announced today that he will be leaving office next month, about 8 months before his term in office was to officially end.

Constantinides will resign on Friday, April 9 to take a job in the nonprofit sector as the Chief Executive Officer of the Variety Boys and Girls Club of Queens.

“Today I announce a profoundly difficult and personal decision,” he said in a statement. “I must resign from the New York City Council on April 9th. I have been asked by the Variety Boys and Girls Club of Queens to become their new Chief Executive Officer and have accepted this role.”

The Astoria council member released a lengthy statement detailing his decision — one, he said, that he made with a “heavy heart.”

“There are many ways to be a public servant that are not in elected office,” he said. “Many times that truth is forgotten by too many. I have committed my life to serving this community and have been searching for a way to continue this service.”

Constantinides’ announcement comes two days after he described his battle with COVID-19, which he and his wife contracted a year ago that day.

He said the virus caused him to lose more than 40 pounds and it damaged his nervous system and digestive tract. It also affected his mental health, causing him to have panic attacks and contemplate suicide, he said.

“I contemplated suicide at one dark point at 1 a.m. when I couldn’t reach my wife who, at that point, was hospitalized for days without regaining consciousness,” Constantinides said in the statement Monday.

On Wednesday, he repeated the struggle his family has faced.

“My time in office has not been without heartbreak and challenges at home,” Constantinides said. “My wife has not been well for a long time and her condition has deteriorated over the last seven years.”

Constantinides has stated previously that his wife has diabetes and is in need of a kidney transplant.

He thanked his family for their love and support, as well as his staff for their dedicated work before thanking the residents he has served for more than seven years.

“Lastly, I just say thank you again to my constituents,” he said. “It has been the honor of my lifetime to serve as your Council Member.  My service to this community is far from over and I am excited for this next chapter as we move forward together.”

Constantinides’ departure will not prompt a special election because it is too close to the June primary and November general election.

Instead the winner of the November election will take over as the council member, representing Astoria, Rikers Island and parts of Jackson Heights, Woodside and East Elmhurst.

Tiffany Cabán, Evie Hantzopoulos, Leonardo Bullaro, Catherina Gioino and Nicholas Velkov are running for the seat as Democrats. Edwin DeJesus will be in the general election as an independent, while Felicia Kalan will be running as a Republican.

Constantinides has endorsed Cabán to be his replacement and Evie Hantzopoulos as his second-choice.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Philip

Variety Boys & Girls Club has received millions of tax dollars from the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additionally, initiatives were proposed through Costa’s office that would have directly benefited Variety, but were eventually voted down in participatory budgeting and not funded.

There certainly appears to be a mutually beneficial relationship between term-limited-elected officials and local non-profits.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.