You are reading

Council Member Paladino Apologizes for Comparing Vaccine Mandates to Nazi Germany

Council Member Vickie Paladino (Council Member Vickie Paladino via Twitter)

Jan. 12, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Queens Council Member Vickie Paladino, who came under fire Tuesday for comparing the city’s vaccine mandates to Nazi Germany, has apologized for her remarks.

Paladino made the comparison during an interview with NY1 when explaining that she wouldn’t disclose whether she had been vaccinated against COVID-19. Her statement came about a week after she had been barred from the City Council chambers for refusing to share her COVID-19 vaccination status.

“I don’t need to show you my papers,” the 67-year-old Republican lawmaker said in the interview. “This is not Nazi Germany.”

Paladino apologized to “anyone who was genuinely offended” on Twitter the day after her interview was published.

“During an hours-long interview with a reporter in which I spoke passionately about many issues, I made an ill-considered and inappropriate comparison between our government’s vaccine mandates and Nazi Germany,” she said in a statement Tuesday. “Though I immediately regretted what I said, and even asked the reporter to strike it from the record, I take complete ownership of that mistake.”

She said she would be meeting with local Jewish leaders to discuss the matter in the coming days.

“While my intent was to illustrate that requiring residents to show medical papers to earn a living or do everyday activities is an authoritarian practice that does not align with this country’s principles, it is never okay to compare anything to the evil of Nazi Germany,” Paladino said.

Days earlier, the council member tweeted that she was forced to cast her vote for council speaker remotely after she was barred from the chamber floor during the new council’s first meeting.

“Unfortunately, I was barred from the chamber floor due to my refusal to submit vax status to the city,” Paladino tweeted on Jan. 5. “Our government is now interfering with a duly elected representative’s right to access the mechanisms of office.”

She said that several progressive council members expressed concern about her being inside the building because they didn’t know if she was vaccinated.

Paladino said she was told she’d be removed from the chamber floor if she attempted to enter and therefore cast her vote from the minority leader’s office instead of making a scene.

She warned, however, that her courtesy that day would not last.

“Going forward, if anyone has a problem with me in the chamber, they will have to remove me,” Paladino said.

She said she will fight the vaccine mandates both in the city council and throughout the city.

Council members and all city workers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to maintain their employment. Council members and employees cannot work at City Hall or council offices without proof of vaccination except in cases of approved medical or religious exemptions.

Paladino won the District 19 seat representing Whitestone, College Point, Bayside, Little Neck, Douglaston and parts of North Flushing in November and succeeded Democratic Council Member Paul Vallone.

She narrowly defeated Democrat Tony Avella, who represented the same district in the council from 2002 to 2009.

Paladino’s refusal to reveal her vaccination status is not the first time she has flouted COVID-19 rules. In December 2020, a video of Paladino leading a maskless conga line at an indoor Republican club holiday party went viral.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.