You are reading

Cuomo Believes New York Will Be Able to Avoid a Shutdown

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Mike Groll/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

Dec. 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Governor Andrew Cuomo believes New York will be able to avoid a second COVID-related shutdown, he announced today.

“I believe we can avoid a shutdown and I believe we will avoid a shutdown — I’ll go that far,” Cuomo said during a press briefing Friday.

He said that a second shutdown of the economy — like the PAUSE order he imposed that shuttered all nonessential businesses in the spring — is “totally avoidable.”

Cuomo said two key issues must be addressed to avoid a shutdown— hospitals in the state must be able to manage an increase in COVID-19 patients and New Yorkers need to slow the spread of the virus.

On the first point, no hospital in the state has indicated that it will reach above 85 percent of its capacity within three weeks, by Jan. 8, he said.

The governor previously announced that the state would shutdown a region if its seven-day average hospitalization growth rate shows that the region will hit 90 percent — indicating critical hospital capacity — within three weeks.

Downstate has roughly 31,000 hospital beds available after local hospitals shifted to crisis management and increased their capacity by 25 percent.

“I believe hospitals are going to be able to manage this,” Cuomo said. “We learned a lot in the spring.”

Cuomo said individual New Yorkers have also learned a lot from the springtime, when the pandemic reached its peak.

“I also believe New Yorkers can slow the spread,” he said. “I believe New Yorkers can flatten the curve because I saw them do it.”

He added that people have learned to be cautious when celebrating holidays after Thanksgiving led to an increase in coronavirus cases across the state.

“New Yorkers are smart,” Cuomo said. “I think they’re going to learn from Thanksgiving and I think you’ll see a smarter response through the holidays.”

Cuomo said New Yorkers should adopt a new state mantra of “slow the spread, stop the shutdown.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Sara Ross

Instead of closing restaurants to indoor dining, where the infection rate is less than 2%, why not fine people walking on the street without masks, wearing them on their chins or using them as bracelets? Open the dam restaurants!!!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Cheering CUNY’s Class of ’24 for perseverance, talent and grit

May. 23, 2024 By Félix V. Matos Rodríguez

CUNY’s impact on New York is never more visible than during commencement season, when we celebrate the achievements of some 50,000 students who earn degrees at our 25 campuses each year. Behind each one of those graduates is a story of aspiration and perseverance, and together they tell the interconnected story of CUNY and New York.

NYPD identifies pedestrian struck by police vehicle on Van Wyck, AG launches probe

The NYPD revealed the identity of the 22-year-old man who was struck and killed by one of its highway patrol vehicles on the Van Wyck Expressway in the early morning of Sunday, May 19.

Ervin Zacarias Agustin, 23, of Ormonde Boulevard in Valley Stream, was running across the highway just after 4:30 a.m. when he was struck and killed by a marked NYPD vehicle near Archer Avenue. The highway patrol car had its lights and sirens activated when it crashed into the Long Islander in the center lane as he attempted to cross the Van Wyck from east to west.