You are reading

Cuomo Extends Shutdown Through May 15

Gov. Andrew Cuomo at April 16 press briefing

April 16, 2020 By Christian Murray

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has extended the state shutdown until May 15.

The restrictions were originally in place through April 29 but Cuomo said they need to be extended in order to contain the virus. He said that while it appears as though the virus has peaked, it is still far too widespread for the restrictions to be lifted.

The number of deaths across the state yesterday dropped to 606, the lowest number in 10 days. Cuomo reported that 12,192 New York state residents have died from the virus.

Cuomo pointed to an array of encouraging data indicating that the worst may be over. He said there was a decline in the number of people in the ICU; a decline in the number of patients needing to be intubated; and lower hospitalization rates.

Nevertheless, Cuomo said it is far too soon to reopen the state. He said that there are still 2,000 people walking into a hospital each day and being diagnosed with COVID-19.

Cuomo said that residents still need to remain home and adhere to social distancing.

“We have to continue what we are doing, ” Cuomo said. “I’d like to see that infection rate get down even more.”

Cuomo did not want to project what would happen after May 15.

“What happens after then? I don’t know,” Cuomo said of the extension. “We will see depending on what the data shows.”

Cuomo is working with six other states–including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Delaware–as part of a coordinate plan to reopen the region.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue