You are reading

De Blasio Staffers Protest Admin’s Handling of George Floyd Demonstrations

Hundreds of current and former staff at City Hall this morning to protest de Blasio’s handling of peaceful protests against police brutality last week (CityWorkers4Justice Twitter)

June 8, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Hundreds of City Hall employees held a rally downtown this morning to protest the way Mayor Bill de Blasio and the NYPD have handled the demonstrations over the past week.

The de Blasio staffers, consisting of both current and former employees, assembled at City Hall Park and demanded that their boss enact concrete reforms to the NYPD and decried the violence officers inflicted on peaceful protesters they witnessed firsthand.

“We expect better. We demand better,” said Catherine Almonte, a former executive assistant to the mayor. “We are demanding radical change now to keep Black New Yorkers alive.”

De Blasio and the NYPD have come under fire for their handling of peaceful protests in New York City following the death of George Floyd at the hands of a Minneapolis police officer.

Critics say the mayor has all but ignored reports and videos of officers closing in and arresting peaceful protesters for violating the 8 p.m. curfew he enacted last week. They are upset that the mayor has allegedly come to the defense of the NYPD despite video evidence showing peaceful protesters being hit with batons and subject to other violence.

One former staffer at the march this morning described her own arrest for breaking the mayor’s curfew during a protest in Brooklyn.

She said she was taken to a local precinct and questioned by FBI agents along with two young men of color, who weren’t participating in the protest when they were arrested.

“Their arrests were every bit as arbitrary as those under stop and frisk,” said former staffer Hannah Shaw of the mayor’s office of economic opportunity.

De Blasio revoked the 8 p.m. curfew Sunday, a day earlier than it was set to expire. He also pledged to divert funds from the NYPD to youth and social services yesterday — but refused to give an exact amount at a press conference in Brooklyn this morning.

The coalition of former and current staffers want to see the NYPD budget slashed by $1 billion in Fiscal Year 2021, which begins July 1. They want the funds to be reallocated to essential social services, like housing support and rental relief, food assistance and health care.

More than 400 of the staffers penned an open letter to de Blasio last Wednesday, listing their demands for greater police reforms. There are now more than 1,000 signatures on the letter, organizers said.

They said de Blasio’s reforms announced Sunday fall short of real change.

“Despite these symbolic gestures and platitudes, his own words contradict his calls for reform,” the organizers wrote in a press release. “The Mayor’s minimization of the NYPD’s handling of this current crisis is an insult to New Yorkers who continue to  experience violence at the hands of the NYPD.”

They are calling for the immediate firing of NYPD officers found to have used excessive force or to have covered their badge numbers at protests.

De Blasio attempted to dismiss the protest this morning by claiming it was mostly former staffers.

“Look, there’s a very big difference between former staff and current staff,” he said at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. “Current staff, we had a good conversation yesterday… I want to hear their concerns.”


However, he added that his office has more work to do to enact police reform measures to the NYPD.

“We’ve got work to do. There’s no question,” de Blasio said. “And I said to my team we’re going to do that work.”

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.