You are reading

Decision on How Long the COVID-19 Shutdown Zones Will Remain in Force Could Come Sunday

(Ed Reed/Mayoral Photography Office)

Oct. 15, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A decision on how long the COVID-19 shutdown zones will remain in force could come as soon as Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said today.

De Blasio said the COVID-19 positivity rates have improved in the cluster zones from what they were a week ago when nonessential businesses and schools were forced to close.

However, he said it’s still too soon to make a call as to whether the restrictions would last more than two weeks — the minimum time mandated by the state order.

“Today’s results indicate some leveling off, some improvement,” he said during a press briefing. “We are seeing a plateauing now of the test results and that is a very good sign, but [there’s] much much more to do.”

De Blasio said they should have a better idea of the situation by the end of the week — on Sunday.

“We’re not there yet to know the final answer,” he said. “Sunday we will have a good picture of whether we’re in striking range of pulling off the restrictions next week or whether we need more time.”

However, Governor Andrew Cuomo said only the state has the power to make that call.

Parts of Kew Gardens, Briarwood, Kew Gardens Hills, Forest Hills and Rego Park are within one red zone — where the most restrictions are. A second Queens red zone encompasses much of Far Rockaway.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.