You are reading

Developer Files Permits to Demolish Tower Diner and Synagogue on Queens Boulevard

The proposed development would involve demolishing a block of buildings including the Tower Diner (Google Maps)

May 26, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A developer has filed permits to demolish a number of buildings in Rego Park, including a popular diner and a synagogue that occupies a historic Art Deco building.

RJ Capital Holdings, under the name Trylon LLC, filed the demolition permits on May 3 for the triangular lot at 98-85 Queens Blvd. where Tower Diner, Ohr Natan Synagogue and several businesses sit.

The development company aims to rezone the site in order to build a 16-story mixed-use building on the soon-to-be empty lot. The rezoning plans have yet to be certified by the Dept. of City Planning, with the public review process still to take place.

The triangular lot that RJ Capital Holdings seeks to rezone and develop (Google Maps)

Rudolf Abramov, managing principal of RJ Capital Holdings, previously told the Queens Post that he aims to offer Ohr Natan Synagogue space in the new building, as well as any other current tenants who are interested.

The synagogue is a popular place of worship for members of the Bukharian community in the neighborhood. It occupies the building that once was the historic Art Deco-styled Trylon Theater, which opened in 1939 and closed in 1999. It serves a congregation of roughly 1,000 members, mostly residents of Rego Park and Forest Hills.

The leaders of the synagogue and the development company have been at odds with each other for years, but have since reconciled and hope to establish a home for Ohr Natan in the proposed development.

Rendering of the proposed development (RJ Capital Holdings)

The proposed development would feature 170 apartments and 118,000 square feet of commercial space. Fifty-one of the apartment units, according to the plans, would be “affordable” pursuant to the city’s Mandatory Inclusionary Housing requirement.

Abramov previously said he hopes to break ground on the development next year.

The filing of the demolition permits was first reported by Patch.

Ohr Natan Synagogue, at 98-81 Queens Blvd. (Google Maps)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Charles Martel

Larry, once again, Bel Aire in Astoria is OPEN. Since you have so much free time on your hands, at least fact-check your posts.

Reply
Larry Penner

Over the years, we have seen the demise of too many other diners including the Bay Terrace (Bayside). Bel Aire (Astoria), Gold Star (Bayside), Seville (Douglaston), Sage (Elmhurst), Nevada (Elmhurst), Kanes (Flushing), Saravan (Flushing), Palace (Flushing), Future (Fresh Meadows), Forest Hills (Forest Hills), Waterview (Howard Beach), Fame (Jamaica), Scobees Grill (Little Neck), Sky Line (Glen Oaks), Shalimar (Rego Park) Tasty (Ridgewood) and other diners.

Here’s hoping that our remaining Queens diners including the Neptune (Astoria), Atlantic (South Richmond Hill), Avenita (Jamaica), Bell (Oakdale Garden), Blue Bay (Fresh Meadows), Bucccaneer (East Elmhurst), Corona (Corona), Court Square (Long Island City), Cross Bay (Howard Beach), Good Eats (Maspeth), New York (Long Island City), North Shore (Bayside), Parkway (Douglaston), Ozone (Howard Beach), Pops (Flushing), Springfield (Jamaica), The Classic (Richmond Hill), T-Bone (Forest Hills), Triple Crown (Bellerose), USA (Rosedale) all continue to survive and prosper.

Larry Penner
(A frequent patron of Queens diners for over 5 decades)

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.