You are reading

Disbarred Flushing Attorney Charged for Allegedly Stealing Client’s Personal Injury Settlement

iStock

Sept. 29, 2020 By Christian Murray

A disbarred Flushing attorney who allegedly stole $66,000 from a client who had won a personal injury settlement has been charged with grand larceny, forgery and other financial crimes.

Yohan Choi, 44, who had a legal practice on Northern Boulevard, was charged for bilking his client out of the settlement proceeds from a case involving a 2016 car crash.

“The defendant was entrusted to uphold the law,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “Instead he allegedly lied, manipulated and then enriched himself with funds intended for his client. This defendant is accused of violating his fiduciary duties to feed his own greed.”

According to the charges, the insurance company awarded the victim $93,000 in November 2017, shortly after Choi had been disbarred for reasons not dealing with the case.

Choi allegedly convinced his client at the time that he could negotiate a larger settlement and deposited the $93,000 into his law firm account after forging his client’s signature on the check.

The defendant then told the victim in December 2019 that the case had finally been settled. Choi then wrote the victim out a fraudulent check for $100,000, which had a stop payment order placed on.

The victim then confronted Choi, who allegedly said the insurance company put the hold on the check. He wrote him out a second check that also could not be cashed.

The District Attorney’s office said that the victim then learned that Choi had been disbarred and confronted him yet again. In March, the defendant finally paid.

Choi was charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree, forgery in the third degree, criminal possession of a forged instrument in the third degree and for practicing law after being disbarred.

He faces up to 4 years in prison if convicted.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.