You are reading

Elected Officials and Advocates Call for Replacement of Collapsed Bulkheads in LIC

Large chunks of a bulkhead along the Dutch Kills Tributary near 29th Street have crumbled into the waterway in recent months (Courtesy of the Newtown Creek Alliance)

Feb. 24, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Large chunks of a retaining wall surrounding a section of the Newtown Creek in Long Island City have collapsed in recent months, spilling concrete and debris into the waterway and prompting concern from environmental advocates and local officials.

Portions of the bulkhead along the Dutch Kills Tributary near 29th Street have crumbled into the creek, polluting the waterway and creating instability in the adjacent roadway, according to the Newtown Creek Alliance.

The organization penned a letter to three governmental agencies — the state Department of Environmental Conservation, the city Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority which owns the adjacent land — last week to demand they immediately address the deteriorating containment walls.

The damaged bullhead is located near 29th Street (GMaps)

The group said the recent break-down is the third time the bulkheads have collapsed in recent years.

“This collapse has dumped tires, concrete blocks, and other historic fill into Newtown Creek, and left the nearby, active, industrial roadway just three feet away from the unstable shoreline,” the Feb. 17 letter stated.

The letter was also signed by Council Member Julie Won, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, State Sen. Michael Gianaris, Assembly Member Cathy Nolan, the president of LaGuardia Community College and various local business owners and civic association leaders.

The signees said they are greatly concerned that the adjacent street could also cave in as additional sections of the bulkheads look ready to collapse as well.

“Visible cracks on adjacent sections of the shore, that are worsened with every spring tide and rainstorm, make it evident that further collapse is inevitable,” they wrote.

The Newtown Creek Alliance said that city and state agencies should consider rebuilding the shoreline and get rid of the concrete bulkheads altogether.

“This collapse, and the degradation of our existing shoreline in general, gives us an opportunity to consider something different and more effective,” they said in the letter. “It is time to act, and we’re calling on you to lead us towards a revitalized, safe, and resilient Newtown Creek shoreline.”

Large chunks of a bulkhead along the Dutch Kills Tributary near 29th Street has crumbled into the waterway in recent months (Courtesy of Newtown Creek Alliance)

The organization and local officials want the agencies to create a new shoreline around the Dutch Kills Tributary that adds a public access point to the waterfront and incorporates native species and habitat restoration in its potential redesign.

They said adding elements like native tidal marsh grass into the redesign would improve water quality and provide habitats for marine ecology like mussels that remove fecal bacteria from the water.

“Rebuilding a soft shoreline would help us passively clean the Creek while expanding habitat ranges for these crucial, native species,” they wrote.

They also asked that the agencies remove two rusting, abandoned barges that have been docked in the creek for years.

The MTA and DOT said they are working with partners to address the issues.

“The MTA appreciates the concerns of the Newtown Creek Alliance and is collaborating with State and City partners to determine the best course of action for protecting the integrity of the bulkhead,” MTA spokesperson Eugene Resnick said in a statement.

The DOT also said it will limit overweight vehicles on the adjacent roadway.

“The DOT will work in collaboration with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Department of Environmental Conservation to develop strategies to limit overweight vehicle access to the street, as well as the area immediately adjacent to the bulkhead,” DOT spokesperson Vincent Barone said in a statement.

The NYC DEC didn’t immediately return a request for comment.

29th Street Shoreline Collapse by Queens Post

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Brooklyn man charged with animal cruelty for duct taping pit bull in Gwen Ifill Park in Locust Manor: DA

A Brooklyn man was charged with animal cruelty, menacing, and other related crimes after he allegedly wrapped duct tape around the mouth, eye and legs of a pit bull at Gwen Ifill Park in Locust Manor, as well as keeping that dog and four others in unsanitary conditions in the back of a van.

Kristopher Fyffe, 38, of East 83rd Street in Canarsie, was arraigned on Monday night in Queens Criminal Court on a criminal complaint charging him with overdriving, torturing, and injuring animals/failure to provide sustenance; two counts of menacing in the second degree; five counts of failure to provide proper food and drink to impounded animal; two counts of harassment in the second degree; and registration of motor vehicles/fees/renewals.

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Masked gunman wanted for allegedly robbing a Hillside Avenue convenience store in Hollis: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for an armed robber who targeted a Hollis convenience store during the early morning of Tuesday, Aug. 5.

The suspect entered the storefront at 187-42 Hillside Ave. just before 5 a.m. and allegedly pulled out a firearm and demanded items from a 26-year-old man behind the counter. The perpetrator removed $100 from the cash register and merchandise from behind the counter before casually walking out of the shop onto Hillside Avenue. The store employee was not injured during the armed robbery.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.