You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley Concedes in Queens Borough President Race

Elizabeth Crowley, candidate for Queens Borough President (campaign photo)

July 16, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Elizabeth Crowley conceded in the Queens borough president race Friday after finishing behind incumbent Borough President Donovan Richards by less than one percentage point.

Crowley announced she was conceding after the Board of Elections (BOE) counted the final absentee and affidavit ballots Thursday.

“With the BOE opening and counting the final ballots yesterday, it has become clear that the numbers are just not there for us to win the democratic nomination,” she said in a statement. “This is not the result we were hoping for, but looking back, I feel incredibly proud of the campaign we ran.”

The former city council member finished behind Richards by 1,044 votes or a .6 percent difference after ranked choice voting was applied, according to the latest tally from the BOE.

“This was a truly historic election, held in the midst of a pandemic and post pandemic recovery,” Crowley said. “Voters knew what was at stake and voted in record numbers with almost 200,000 Queens residents casting a ballot in this race, more than we have seen in generations, and I am proud that we received 49.7% of their votes in the final round.”

Her announcement was the second time she has conceded to Richards. She also finished second-place to him in a primary/special election last year that was held to replace outgoing BP Melinda Katz.

She vastly outspent Richards as well as a Jimmy Van Bramer, who came third in the three-person race.

Crowley spent $1,188,572 on the campaign, compared to Richards’ $557,530 and Van Bramer’s $792,601, according to the latest campaign finance filing on June 11. Van Bramer received 17.5 percent of first-choice votes.

The Queens borough president race was not without drama.

Richards accused Crowley of being racist in a tweet in which he simultaneously declared victory last week. Crowley called the allegations “slanderous and untruthful.”

“Politics is a tough business, and it can bring out the worst in some, but running in this race showed me once again how much we all have in common,” Crowley said in her concession statement. “Although I am conceding this race, I assure you that I am optimistic about the future of Queens, and I will continue to work for a stronger Queens for our families.”

She thanked her campaign staff and volunteers as well as those who donated to her campaign.

“This election was never about me, it was about making sure that we have leadership that would fight for all of Queens,” Crowley said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
old as dirt

just goes to show you that the old saying..every vote counts..is true..all should remember this come November

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.