You are reading

Elmhurst Park Near Queens Center Mall to Get Upgrade Under Mayor’s Plan

Hoffman Park, which is located on Woodhaven Boulevard near the Queens Center Mall, will be getting an upgrade under the mayor’s Community Parks Initiative (Photo: Hoffman Park/GMaps)

Oct. 26, 2021 By Christian Murray

A 3-acre park in Elmhurst is going to be getting a facelift—with funds coming via a city program that invests in neglected parks and playgrounds.

The mayor announced Tuesday that the city will be investing $425 million over the next 10 years in the Community Parks Initiative, a program that was launched in 2014 to rebuild and upgrade open space in low-income areas.

The program to date has seen the redesign or revamp of 67 parks at a cost of about $318 million. Each park had not seen a major upgrade in at least 20 years prior to its makeover.

The announcement of the $425 million came with an initial list of 10 parks to be upgraded, with three in the Bronx, three in Manhattan, two in Brooklyn, one in Staten Island and one in Queens. The Queens location will be Hoffman Park, which is located on Woodhaven Boulevard near the Queens Center Mall.

“Hoffman Park is long overdue for a facelift,” said Council Member Daniel Dromm who worked with the mayor on the program. “This investment will make this heavily used park more accessible and more user friendly.”

The park currently includes basketball courts and a children’s playground. The Parks Dept. will be working with the community to put together a design.

It is unclear how much will be spent on the upgrade—although the mayor has put in place a plan to revamp 100 parks with the $425 million—which would average $4.25 million per park.

All 10 parks that are to be upgraded are in priority areas as determined by the Task Force for Racial Inclusion and Equity—a task force headed by de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, along with Deputy Mayor Phil Thompson.

The taskforce was launched last year during the height of the pandemic and at around the same time that the city was urging residents to fill out the 2020 U.S. census. The census results showed that approximately 75 percent of the population of Queens is Hispanic/Latino, Black or Asian—and that about two-thirds of the population of New York City falls into these categories.

“Our recovery must focus on communities historically left behind, and the Community Parks Initiative is a great example of how to do just that,” de Blasio said. “This $425 million investment will improve open space in communities across the five boroughs for years to come.”

The plan calls for 10 parks to be upgraded per year for the next 10 years.

NYC Parks Commissioner Gabrielle Fialkoff praised de Blasio for the initiative and said that the mayor’s “equity legacy will live on for generations.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Pat Macnamara

“Our recovery must focus on communities historically left behind, and the Community Parks Initiative is a great example of how to do just that,” de Blasio said. This is coming from someone who was the public advocate before he became mayor. The worst mayor in NYC history…

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.