You are reading

Enraged Protesters Stare Down Cops on Queens Boulevard

Protesters on Queens Boulevard (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

June 4, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

A tense standoff between a large group of demonstrators and the police almost boiled over in Sunnyside Thursday.

More than 100 protesters blocked up traffic on Queens Boulevard by 47th Street at around 3:40 p.m. and refused to leave unless NYPD officers joined them in taking a knee or raising a fist.

The protesters – who had been marching around Sunnyside/Woodside as part of a thousand-person demonstration – stared down a line of about 20 officers that were stretched across the road.

The protesters kneeled, raised their right fists and chanted “whose streets, our streets, peaceful protest.” They were protesting the killing of George Floyd at the hands of police last week and demanded racial justice.

They also chanted “NYPD, I smell racists” and “how do you spell murderers – NYPD,” at cops.

The police asked the crowd to disperse over an NYPD patrol car speaker – but they refused.

Instead, they shouted “take a knee,” and “raise a fist.” Protesters also chanted Floyd’s name and that of Breonna Taylor – a black woman who was shot eight times by police officers in Kentucky earlier this year.

A higher ranking officer began handing out zip-tie handcuffs to each cop as the crowd grew more vocal. A few minutes later the cops put on riot helmets and showed batons.

Protesters shouted “I don’t see no riot here, put away the riot gear,” and “NYPD fists up, NYPD fists up.” The standoff went on for about 15 minutes.

Another high ranking officer appeared in riot gear and spoke to two female protesters who were at the front of the protest. The women then went back to the crowd and they instructed fellow protesters to take a knee and raise a fist in silence for 30 seconds.

The crowd then dispersed chanting “what’s his name, George Floyd.”

The main demonstration, which was organized by a local activist Tuli Hannan, 18, assembled at Queens Boulevard and 46th Street – under the subway line – at around 1 p.m.

Demonstrators carried signs with “defund the police” “black lives matter,” and “abolish the racist NYPD.”

At around 2:30 p.m. they made their way eastward along Queens Boulevard and turned north onto Roosevelt Avenue. The protesters marched as far as 58th Street before turning around and heading back along Skillman Avenue.

The group turned left at 46th Street and marched southward across Queens Boulevard. They walked to 50th Avenue before turning back and stopping at their original meeting point. The standoff with cops occurred moments later.

Hannan said she organized the event on social media to remember people who have died due to discrimination, inequality, and injustice.

“Our purpose was to show that we will no longer be denied in our society,” Hannan told the Queens Post.

“We will no longer normalize being hated because we are minorities, because of who we are, of our skin tone, of our identity,” she said.

There were two unconfirmed reports of arrests during the march around Sunnyside/Woodside.

Protesters on Queens Boulevard (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Tuli Hannan (black top) leads the march (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

A protester sign (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Silence is Violence (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

A protester sign (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Vickie D

Hello. How can we get a list of proposed protests scheduled for Queens. Very hard to go outside of borough for gatherings.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.