You are reading

Family of Man Shot Dead in Long Island City Thursday Launches GoFundMe Page

Vickram Sewsankar, picture taken from the memorial at Borden Ave. and 2nd St. (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Sep. 9, 2020 By Michael Dorgan 

A GoFundMe was launched Saturday by the father of a man gunned down in Long Island City last week.

Latchman Sewsankar, the father of the victim Vickram Sewsankar, is raising funds to cover the funeral costs of his son who was fatally shot on Borden Avenue, near 2nd Street, on Thursday following a dispute over a parking space.

Sewsankar has raised nearly $11,000 from more than 90 donors– as he looks to raise $21,000. Donors include family members, friends to local residents.

“It’s a tragedy to a life gone too soon at the age of 25,” Latchman Sewsankar wrote on the GoFundMe page. “Vickram was a loving caring and considerate son, brother and friend to all the lives he touched,” he added.

Vickram Sewsankar, a resident of South Ozone Park in Queens, was shot in the stomach at around 6:50 p.m. on Sept. 3 and later died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell, according to police. As of Tuesday, no arrests had been made.

Memorial for Vickram Sewsankar, located at Borden Ave. and 2nd St. (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

A memorial has gone up near where Sewsankar was murdered.

The memorial contains candles, flowers, balloons and pictures of Sewsankar– along with messages from friends and relatives. There are two balloons–one with the number “2″ and the other with the number “6”– on top of the memorial, in recognition of Vickram’s 26th birthday that was yesterday.

Messages like “never forget you brother,” “happy birthday,” and “sleep in peace my baby boy” are on sheets of paper taped to a box at the location.

Another message reads: “Vickram, I love you so much, words cannot explain you are my heart, my soul, my life, I will always count the days until we meet again.”

Lidia Raskin, a resident who was passing by the memorial with two children Tuesday, said that Sewsankar’s death was tragic.

“I have lived in the neighborhood for 12 years and nothing like this has ever happened,” Raskin said.

“Its a very, very sad story,” she said.

Written messages at Vickram Sewsankar’s memorial, located at Borden Ave. and 2nd St. (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

A picture of Vickram Sewsankar surrounded by candles, located at Borden Ave. and 2nd St. (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Two children at the memorial for Vickram Sewsankar, located at Borden Ave. and 2nd St. (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Memorial for Vickram Sewsankar, located at Borden Ave. and 2nd St. Sewsankar was shot in the area just behind the memorial. (Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue