You are reading

Flushing Busway Gets the Green Light After Judge Strikes Down Opponents’ Appeal

Main Street in Flushing will be made into a busway this month (Google Maps)

Jan. 5, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A last-ditch effort to prevent the city from installing a controversial new busway on Main Street in Flushing was struck down by a Queens Supreme Court judge Tuesday.

Judge Kevin Kerrigan denied an appeal against the Dept. of Transportation which sought to stop the agency from converting a stretch of Main Street into a busway under a 1-year pilot program.

The Article 78 proceeding had been filed by the Flushing Chinese Business Association (FCBA) whose members opposed the busway, arguing that it would reduce private traffic into the area and cut into their bottom line.

However, Kerrigan said that the FCBA had failed to convince the court that the busway would deter customers from coming to the busy shopping zone and thus denied the appeal. He also lifted a temporary restraining order that had postponed the implementation of the busway since Nov. 16.

The judge said that the FCBA’s appeal focused mostly on the issue of access to the new World Mall parking garage.

The FCBA in its lawsuit argued that the new busway would force private vehicles to go around the block instead of being able to drive straight through Main Street in order to get to the parking entrance.

They said the detour would be such an inconvenience that shoppers would stay away from the area and businesses would be crippled as a result.

“Petitioners have failed to show any evidence that… this would discourage people from shopping at the location or adversely affect merchants on Main Street,” Kerrigan wrote.

The new busway, which the MTA says will speed up service, will run 0.6 miles along Main Street from Northern Boulevard to Sanford Avenue. Through traffic would be limited to buses, trucks and emergency vehicles while private vehicles would only be permitted to use the stretch for pick-ups or drop-offs.

The MTA said the layout will improve slow and unpredictable bus speeds for the thousands of people who use buses that traverse the route each day.

The Riders Alliance, a public transport advocacy group, welcomed the court ruling.

“Today’s decision is a huge victory for 150,000 bus riders across Queens and the Bronx,” said Jolyse Race, a senior advisor with the group.

“Citywide, judges have now ruled decisively that when riders win well-deserved priority on busy streets, opponents can’t sue and get their way.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue

Cheering CUNY’s Class of ’24 for perseverance, talent and grit

May. 23, 2024 By Félix V. Matos Rodríguez

CUNY’s impact on New York is never more visible than during commencement season, when we celebrate the achievements of some 50,000 students who earn degrees at our 25 campuses each year. Behind each one of those graduates is a story of aspiration and perseverance, and together they tell the interconnected story of CUNY and New York.