You are reading

Forest Hills Diner Shutters After 10 Year Run

Forest Hills Diner on Austin Street (Google Maps)

May 29, 2020 By Michael Dorgan 

A local diner has shuttered after a last-ditch effort to salvage the business fell short.

The Forest Hills Diner, located at 68-60 Austin St., closed last week after the economic fallout from COVID-19 ended its 10-year run.

The long time owner Benito Galvan decided to quit the business in March prompted by the shutdown, according to Adriana Morote, who runs the neighboring Amar Peruvian restaurant.

Morote took over the diner in April but decided to close it for good last week.

Galvan, she said, depended heavily on customers who worked in the Austin Street area and with them working from home he decided to shut down. She said that Galvan was close to retirement and did not want to take on debt to keep his eatery going.

The diner employed 10 people and had three drivers when Galvan closed, Morote said. Two workers retired when it shut down and another subsequently lost his life to COVID-19. The remaining staff were left without a job.

The diner’s landlord then asked Morote to take a shot at running the joint for a month, rent-free, to see if she could turn a profit. She took the offer.

“I agreed because the people who worked there are my friends and I didn’t want them to lose their jobs,” Morote said.

“But I realized how much money the business was losing and I wouldn’t be able to pay their bills or salaries,” she said.

Morate said that the only way she could have kept the diner open was to use money from her own family-run restaurant – which is already under financial strain – so she chose to close the diner.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Jasmine Perez

Cost of living goes up, revenue goes down, vacancies go up. This mayor penalizes the productive by over taxing and rewards the least deserving. What a farce.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.