You are reading

Forest Hills man shot in East Elmhurst on Wednesday afternoon, gunman remains at large: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for a gunman who shot and killed a Forest Hills man in East Elmhurst on Wednesday, Sept. 11. Photo via Getty Images.

Sept. 12, 2024 By Bill Parry

An urgent manhunt is underway for the gunman who shot and killed a Forest Hills man on a quiet residential block in East Elmhurst on Wednesday afternoon.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of a man shot in front of 25-16 Humphrey St. just after 4:30 p.m. and arrived on the scene to find a 43-year-old man lying on the grass with two gunshots to his head.

EMS arrived at the location and transported the victim to Elmhurst Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead a short while later, police said.

The victim was later identified as Carlos Solano, who lived on 62nd Drive, two blocks west of Flushing Meadows Corona Park, three miles away from the crime scene.

Neighbors reportedly heard shouting before the gunfire erupted. An NYPD spokeswoman said there is still no determined motive for the fatal shooting as of noon Thursday, and there are no arrests.

There is no description of the gunman, who was last seen running past the Helen Marshall Playground along 100th Street.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Anyone with information regarding this homicide investigation is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at crimestoppers.nypdonline.org or on X (the platform formerly known as Twitter) @NYPDTips. All calls and messages are kept confidential.

Through Sept. 8, the 115th Precinct has reported two shooting incidents so far in 2024, two fewer than the four reported at the same point last year, a decline of 50%, according to the most recent CompStat report.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.