You are reading

Former College Basketball Coach Avoids Jail Time for ‘One Punch’ Death of Florida Man

Jamill Jones (Wake Forest University)

July 24, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A former Wake Forest basketball coach avoided jail time at his sentencing Thursday for the ‘one punch’ death of a Florida man in Long Island City two years ago.

Jamill Jones, 37, of North Carolina, was sentenced to three years’ probation, 1,500 hours of community service and a $1,000 fine, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.

He was found guilty of third degree assault in February for slugging 35-year-old Sandor Szabo who died days later in 2018.

Szabo had just attended a family wedding and was walking near his hotel in Long Island City shortly after 1:40 a.m. on Aug. 5, 2018. He wandered over to Jones’ SUV and drunkenly banged on its rear window, according to trial testimony.

He ran off, but Jones got out of his car and chased him down. Jones, who was also staying in a hotel nearby, punched Szabo once in the face, causing him to fall to the ground and hit his head on the concrete pavement, according to testimony.

The Florida man was taken to a nearby hospital for a skull fracture, traumatic brain injuries and a laceration on his chin. He died of his injuries two days later.

Szabo’s family believes he was looking for his rideshare vehicle and mistakenly banged on Jones’ window.

District Attorney Katz condemned the violence in a statement.

“This was a tragic incident that ended the life of a man and devastated his family, a violent run-in that should never have happened,” she said. “Violence is never the answer to settling a dispute.”

email the author:

One Comment

Click for Comments 

I can’t understand how he ‘avoided jail time’ after taking a man’s life. Three years probation and community service, with a paltry $1500 fine? Is that all a man’s life is worth? Disgusting. This wasn’t anywhere near justice.


Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Port Authority announces JFK Airport traffic congestion plan as new terminal construction ramps up this summer

With construction ramping up over the summer on the $19 billion JFK Airport redevelopment project, the Port Authority opened a free drop-off, pickup and waiting lot at the AirTrain station at Lefferts Boulevard to help passengers avoid heavy traffic congestion at the terminal frontages.

The new lot will allow travelers to easily hop on to the free on-airport AirTrain with frequent service for an easy, eight-minute ride to the terminals, saving them time and anxiety from potential construction-related congestion.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.