You are reading

GoFundMe Launched to Support Family of Delivery Worker Killed in Astoria Truck Crash

Memorial set up for Alfredo Cabrera Licona (GoFundMe)

Nov. 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A GoFundMe has been set up to support the family of a delivery worker who was killed in crash with a semi-truck in Astoria last week.

Alfredo Cabrera Licona, 35, died in hospital Thursday after his scooter and a Bud Light truck collided at the intersection of Astoria Boulevard and Crescent Street.

Cabrera Licona was close to finishing up his shift for the day when the truck driver turned right onto Crescent Street and struck him as he drove within the bike lane, according to the GoFundMe page.

Assembly Member-elect Zohran Mamdani launched the fundraiser Saturday to help Cabrera Licona’s wife and two sons, 8 and 11, who live in Mexico.

The delivery worker was the breadwinner of the family and had moved to New York from Mexico nearly 10 years ago in order to provide for his wife and children.

At the time of his death, he was planning to visit Mexico for the first time since he immigrated to the U.S. Cabrera Licona was looking forward to seeing his youngest son, who was born after he moved to New York, according to the GoFundMe.

Mamdani hopes to raise at least $10,000 for the family, as they struggle to make ends meet. At the time of publication, about $8,000 had been raised through the GoFundMe.

“We ask that you stand in solidarity with Alfredo and his family, as they struggle to go on without the husband, father, and breadwinner they loved and leaned on,” Mamdani wrote on the GoFundMe page.

The soon-to-be Assembly Member for the 36th District representing Astoria said he and other local officials will continue to put pressure on the Department of Transportation (DOT) to make the bike route where Cabrera Licona died safer.

Mamdani said that Cabrera Licona’s death was preventable, noting that the current barriers along the Crescent Street bike lane are flimsy and don’t do enough to protect cyclists from passing vehicles.

He also said that DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg’s inaction to provide greater protection to cyclists played a role in Cabrera Licona’s death.

“Her office — along with Mayor De Blasio, who is ultimately responsible for this city — is culpable in this death,” Mamdani said in a statement.

He and other lawmakers warned the DOT that the existing barriers were insufficient before Cabrera Licona’s death, he said.

Mamdani and five other elected officials penned a letter to Trottenberg less than a month ago calling on the DOT to install stronger barriers than the flexible delineators that currently separate the bike path from car traffic on Crescent Street.

“Seven cyclists were killed across NYC just last month — we cannot wait for the next to be on Crescent,” they wrote in the Oct. 22 letter, prior to Cabrera Licona’s death.

Mamdani, State Sen. Michael Gianaris, Assembly Member Brian Barnwell, Council Members Jimmy Van Bramer and Costa Constantinides and U.S. Congress Member Carolyn Maloney advocated for greater protection such as jersey barriers — the type of interlocking plastic barriers often used around construction sites — or Qwick Kurbs to separate the bike path from the roadway in the letter.

Following the fatal crash, Mamdani has reiterated those calls and said Trottenberg must install adequate safety barriers along the bike path as soon as possible — before another person dies.

“Commissioner Trottenberg must take immediate action to install appropriate safety infrastructure for the Crescent Street bike plane at the points identified in our original letter to her, before any more lives are lost,” he said. “My office will aggressively pursue this issue until that happens.”

The advocacy group Transportation Alternatives also said the Crescent Street barriers need improvement.

“Another person is dead because our city has once again compromised safety in the name of driver convenience,” Transportation Alternatives Executive Director Danny Harris said in a statement.

“While street safety advocates fought for and won a two-way protected bike lane on Crescent Street in Queens, the Department of Transportation chose to deploy nothing more than flexible plastic delineator posts to separate people on bikes and scooters from multi-ton motorized vehicles,” Harris added. “This ‘protected’ bike lane was not protected.”

The DOT didn’t respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue