You are reading

Gov. Cuomo Extends Eviction Moratorium Through August 20

Governor Andrew Cuomo extended the eviction moratorium today (Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s Office)

May 7, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Governor Andrew Cuomo extended the statewide eviction moratorium a further two months today, as more and more New Yorkers are unable to make rent.

Cuomo first issued the moratorium — for both residential and commercial renters — on March 20 by an executive order to prevent landlords from evicting people and business owners during the coronavirus crisis. The moratorium was set to expire in June and today Cuomo extended it through August 20.

“No one can be evicted for nonpayment of rent — residents or commercial — because of COVID until August 20,” Cuomo said at his daily press briefing today.

He also introduced additional measures to protect renters.

The state is banning late payment fees during the moratorium and allowing renters to use their security deposit as a rent payment, Cuomo said.

They can then repay the security deposit over a longer period of time, he added.

“People literally are worried about being able to pay rent,” Cuomo said. “You don’t work for two months and that rent bill keeps coming in.”

The governor said he hopes the extension gives struggling New Yorkers some relief.

“I hope it gives families a deep breath. Nothing can happen until August 20.”

However, some say his moratorium does not go far enough. The moratorium prevents people from being kicked out of their homes or businesses during the pandemic, but it doesn’t cancel rent payments or provide rent forgiveness.

Cuomo today said he will revisit the moratorium order as August approaches, with the possibility of extending it.

“We’ll see what happens between now and then,” he said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue