You are reading

Hip Hop Artist Nas to Host Concert at Forest Hills Stadium Next Month to Benefit City Harvest

Hip Hop artist Nas (via Forest Hills Stadium)

Aug. 9, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Hip Hop artist and former Queens resident Nas will return to the borough to perform a concert next month benefitting a local nonprofit.

Nas will host and perform at the “Concert to Feed NYC” at Forest Hills Stadium on Sept. 23. Proceeds from the concert will go to City Harvest, the city’s largest food rescue organization.

The fundraiser comes at a time when many New York City families are struggling to put food on the table in the midst of the pandemic.

The Grammy-winning rapper — who was born in Brooklyn and raised in the Queensbridge Houses in Long Island City — released his newest album “King’s Disease II” last week.

The Forest Stadium concert will be Nas’ first live performance in his home borough in nearly three years.

“I am looking forward to returning to stage for a performance in my hometown—especially since it supports a cause I care deeply about,” Nas said in a statement.

The concert will help support City Harvest’s mission to ensure that no New Yorker is left hungry.

The number of hungry New Yorkers surged across the city during the pandemic.

More than 1.5 million New Yorkers now experience food insecurity — a 38 percent increase over pre-pandemic figures. Furthermore, 1 in 3 children in NYC are now food insecure, according to City Harvest.

The nonprofit has stepped up it efforts during the crisis.

City Harvest has distributed more than 190 million pounds of food during the pandemic — double the average amount during pre-pandemic times — to hundreds of soup kitchens and food pantries across the five boroughs. The organization rescued the unused food from restaurants and retailers.

“The Concert to Feed NYC will help us rescue and deliver more food for the many New Yorkers who are struggling to put meals on their tables because of the pandemic, many for the first time,” said Jilly Stephens, CEO of City Harvest. “We are so grateful to have a dedicated and passionate friend in Nas who will create such a special evening to support our work. Together, we can feed our city.”

To support the effort, Forest Hills Stadium is offering the venue free of charge and clothing brand DKNY, an event sponsor, will create exclusive merchandise for the concert, with sales benefiting City Harvest.

“I’m a huge Nas fan and a big believer in the important work City Harvest does,” said Rob Pohly, founder of Samlyn Capital, who will underwrite all venue-related expenses for the event. “I’m excited to be a part of this incredible evening of awesome music, all to help feed New Yorkers in need.”

The Concert to Feed NYC will have seats available for 4,000 guests. Tickets go on sale on Friday, Aug. 13 at 10 a.m. on ForestHillsStadium.com. Tickets range in price from $75 for general admission to $500 for VIP experiences.

The event organizers have not announced any opening performers yet.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.