You are reading

Holden Wants Glendale Shelter Shuttered After Resident Arrested for Alleged Robbery

78-16 Cooper Ave. (Photo: Council Member Robert Holden)

July 20, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Robert Holden wants a homeless shelter in Glendale shuttered after one if its residents assaulted and robbed a man down the road from the facility.

The resident, Shandell Johnson, was arrested Sunday after he allegedly whacked a 32-year-old man with a metal rod outside the victim’s home earlier that same day, according to the NYPD.

Police said Johnson, 27, struck the victim eight times around 9 a.m. near Central Avenue and 71st Place — several blocks away from the 78-16 Cooper Ave. shelter.

The victim was sitting outside his home when he was first attacked, police said. During the attack, the victim fell to the ground and his phone left his pocket. Johnson grabbed the phone and fled, but was subsequently arrested, according to the NYPD.

The victim sustained lacerations to his shin, knee and both hands as well as bruising. He was treated at the scene, police said.

A police spokesperson confirmed that Johnson lives at the Cooper Rapid Rehousing Center, a single men’s shelter located on Cooper Ave. The victim is not a resident of the shelter, she said.

Holden, a longtime critic of the shelter, condemned the incident on Twitter Sunday.

Holden, who has been an outspoken opponent of the 200-bed shelter even before it opened in February, said he was “sick and tired” of it.

“This shelter has been a disaster since it opened,” he Tweeted. “It must be closed now and never be allowed to reopen.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens parents of teen driver sentenced on child endangerment charges after son allegedly killed a girl during a horrific collision: DA

A Springfield Gardens couple was sentenced in Queens Supreme Court on Monday in a groundbreaking case of endangering the welfare of a child charges for allowing their 16-year-old son to drive a sports car they gave him before he was old enough to drive.

The teenager was charged with manslaughter in the death of 14-year-old Fortune Williams, who was riding in the car when the youngster was in a gruesome collision with a delivery truck while speeding more than 100 miles per hour in January 2023.

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.