You are reading

Indoor Dining in New York City Postponed Indefinitely

(Photo by Sandra Seitamaa on Unsplash)

July 1, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New Yorkers will have to wait a little longer to grab a bite to eat indoors.

The reopening of indoor dining at New York City restaurants has been postponed indefinitely, both Mayor Bill de Blasio and Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

New York City was poised to reopen indoor dining on July 6, as part of Phase III of the governor’s reopening plan. However, an uptick of COVID-19 cases in states that have already reopened indoor dining have caused the officials to change tack.

“Phase III dining — we are going to postpone,” Cuomo said during a press conference in New York City. “It’s going to be postponed until the facts change and it is prudent to open.”

Mayor de Blasio also worried about indoor transmission. Research appears to show, he said, that the public is more susceptible to contracting the virus indoors.

“It is not the time to forge ahead with indoor dining,” de Blasio said.

Other states that have already reopened restaurants and bars are now seeing skyrocketing cases of COVID-19, he added.

New York has issued a travel advisory for these states. It’s requiring travelers from 16 states, where the rate of infection is particularly high, to quarantine for 14 days when entering the Empire State.

Cuomo said he is also worried about New Yorkers not following social distancing rules and failing to wear masks.

“Look at any street in Manhattan, go to the East Village, go to the West Side, go to Brooklyn, go to Queens, go to The Bronx,” Cuomo said. “Citizen compliance is slipping.”

He blamed it on a lack of enforcement — though he did not call out New York City officials by name.

“If you have citizen compliance dropping and you don’t have local governments enforcing, then you’re going to see the virus go up,” Cuomo said.

“The local governments have to do their job.”

The governor said the decision to postpone is preemptive to avoid an increase of new coronavirus cases. New York City’s numbers have continued to remain at safe levels.

“We went from worst infection rate in the United States to best infection rate in the United States,” Cuomo said of New York State.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue