You are reading

Jackson Heights Community Joins Together to Support 250 People Displaced by 8-Alarm Fire

An eight-alarm fire tore through a Jackson Heights apartment building Tuesday night, leaving more than 100 families without a home (FDNY)

April 7, 2021 By Allie Griffin

An eight-alarm fire that tore through a Jackson Heights apartment building Tuesday night has left hundreds homeless and resulted in 25 people being injured.

The fire started inside an apartment located at 89-07 34th Ave. shortly after 1 p.m. and quickly spread throughout the building. By 8 p.m., it had been upgraded to an eight alarm blaze, with more than 350 firefighters and EMS personnel at the scene.

Firefighters were finally able to get the fire under control at 12:07 a.m., but the flames damaged the majority of the 133-unit building, a FDNY spokesperson said.

“It took the department eight alarms and almost 12 hours to place the fire under control, working inside [and] outside, causing many injuries to our members and some injuries to civilians,” FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said at the scene this morning.

In total, 19 firefighters and six civilians were injured. None of the injuries were life-threatening, the spokesperson said.

The flames spread throughout the building since the occupants of the apartment where the fire started left their front door open. Furthermore, they waited 10 minutes before calling 911, Nigro said.

The apartment was on the top floor of the six-story building.

“Thankfully, this fire was on the top floor,” Nigro said. “Had this fire been lower in the building, it could have had a terrible result in loss of life with that door being left open.”

Nigro said that fire marshals have been unable to enter the building yet to conduct an investigation into the cause of the fire, but it is not believed to be suspicious.

Jackson Heights community members are now organizing efforts to help the 130 families — more than 400 people in total, according to organizers — who lived in the building and have been displaced.

A GoFundMe page was set up for the families by one of the organizers of a local LGBTQ-run food pantry called “Love Wins” and it has raised more than $100,000 in just 13 hours.

“A community made up of majority low-income, working class, immigrant essential workers, already experiencing the aftermath of COVID-19 are now without their homes,” Daniel Puerto wrote in the description of the GoFundMe.

“It’s hard to express the deep sadness we felt tonight as we looked into our neighbors eyes and asked how we could help,” Puerto added.

The fundraiser aims to raise $250,000 for the families displaced in the fire. Shortly after 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, roughly 1,100 people have collectively donated more than $105,000.

The Red Cross has been helping the displaced families by providing them hotel rooms.

Neighbors are also collecting donations for the affected residents from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at the Southridge Courtyard, located at 33-45 90th St. They are asking people to donate items like PPE, hand sanitizer, toiletries, diapers, baby bottles and formula, feminine hygiene products, blankets, pillows, phone chargers, pet food, water and food.

Supporters of the 34th Avenue Open Street as well as numerous local mutual aid groups and individual neighbors have all stepped up to help the victims of the fire.

Families affected by the fire can call the Red Cross hotline at 1-877-733-2767 for assistance. The hotline operators can help people with finding temporary shelter, as well as mental health support, financial assistance and health services.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
JQ LLC

What I find interesting about this tragedy is that Mayor de Blasio never went here or tried to console these people. Guess they don’t count in the recovery for all of us

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue