You are reading

Jackson Heights Group Says Mayor’s Open Streets Initiative Falls Short

34th Avenue between 73rd and 80th Streets was part of the open streets pilot at the end of March (Google Maps)

May 11, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A Jackson Heights civic group says the mayor’s open streets initiative falls short– arguing that more roadway is needed since the neighborhood lacks park space.

On April 27, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the city would close about 100 miles of roadway to traffic for the exclusive use of pedestrians and cyclists. He said that the transformation would take place during the course of the pandemic to give New Yorkers more space to stay six feet apart. He said 40 miles of city streets would be free of cars this month.

The administration has opened up just 9 miles thus far, including less than half a mile of 34th Avenue from 69th Street to 77th Street in Jackson Heights. The community based organization Jackson Heights Green Alliance (JHGA) says that is not nearly enough.

Jackson Heights Green Alliance penned a letter to Mayor de Blasio last week to demand more mileage be turned over to pedestrians and cyclists.

The group noted that the closure of the stretch of 34th Avenue was inadequate, calling it “completely unacceptable to our community.”

“Nine blocks of closed streets for a neighborhood at the epicenter of this crisis shows an utter lack of empathy for what our community is experiencing right now,” JHGA wrote. “It is shockingly inadequate.”

“It raises serious questions about this administration’s commitment to this program, its intentions behind implementing it, and which parts of the city it has designed this initiative for.”

The group demanded that the city rescind the proposal to close 34th Avenue to traffic and instead implement its own community-based proposal.

JHGA proposed the city create four shared street ‘superblocks'” in Jackson Heights as shown in the map below.

Jackson Heights Green Alliance proposal for Open Streets initiative (JHGA)

The plan would divert all non-local and through traffic to major roads like Northern Boulevard and Roosevelt Avenue and also designate some streets where there are bus routes as bus-only.

The pedestrian-priority streets highlighted in green in the map would still have limited vehicular access for residents, drop offs, pickups and local deliveries, at a suggested 6 mph speed limit.

JHGA said the plan was ambitious, but necessary.

“Only these kinds of ambitious approaches will be effective in slowing the devastation that this pandemic has caused in intensely crowded neighborhoods such as ours, by vastly increasing the possibility of safe social distancing,” the group wrote in the letter.

They said the neighborhood which has just one small park and suffers overcrowding, which has made it and adjacent neighborhoods the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.

“This is a time for bold and decisive action that will help tip the balance of inequities and risks faced by the residents of Jackson Heights and the rest of the city.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.