You are reading

Jerry Wolkoff, Owner and Developer of 5Pointz in Long Island City, Has Died

View of the front of 5 Pointz prior to its demolition (2013). Photo by Ezmosis/Creative Commons)

July 20, 2020 By Christian Murray

A prolific developer who was best known in Queens for the demolition of the 5Pointz site in Long Island City has died.

Gerald ‘Jerry’ Wolkoff, who was behind several large developments in New York and Long Island, died Friday at the aged of 83. He suffered from a brief neurological illness, according to Long Island Business News that first reported on his passing.

Wolkoff, who was born in Brooklyn in 1936, got involved in the real estate industry in the 1960s and became one of the largest home builders in the outer boroughs of New York.

He later went on to develop industrial parks in Long Island, such as the 240-acre Heartland Industrial Park in Hauppauge and the 400-acre Heartland Business Center in Edgewood.

(Photo: George Burles for Queens Post)

However, for many, he is best known for 5Pointz—a dilapidated factory building on Jackson Avenue he bought in the 1970s—that was demolished in 2014 to make way for two residential towers.

Wolkoff allowed graffiti artists to use the decaying 5Pointz building as a canvas for more than two decades. However, when he announced plans in 2012 to demolish the building and redevelop the site he ran into a big confrontation with artists.

The artists initially tried to stop Wolkoff from being able to rezone the property, which he needed in order to construct the 1,100 units that are going up today. However, their effort failed when he got the approval of Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer and the rest of the city council to rezone the site.

The artists then tried to stop Wolkoff from destroying the building by taking him to court. They sought to preserve their artwork, some of which had gained international fame.

However, during the early hours of Nov. 19, 2013, Wolkoff hired a crew and whitewashed the whole building.

At the time, Wolkoff told the QueensPost:

Wolkoff ordered the whitewashing of 5Pointz (Photo: QueensPost on Nov. 19, 2013)

“I whitewashed the building to stop the torture. They [the artists] had to take their medicine,” he said, adding that “they will be upset with me for a day or two … and then everyone will be over it.”

Wolkoff, known for being blunt, said it would have been extremely difficult to demolish the building piece by piece, art work by artwork.  “If I was able to implode the building I would have,” he said at the time. “This way it is now done.”

Wolkoff was later sued by the artists for destroying their work. The artists won and received a $6.7 million award. However, Wolkoff maintained that the building was his and that the artists had no right to determine what happened to it.

Wolkoff is survived by his wife of 59 years, Michele, his two sons David and Adam, a daughter-in-law and three grandchildren.

Wolkoff’s development on Jackson Avenue where the 5Pointz graffiti mecca was previously located (Photo: QueensPost)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.