You are reading

Kew Gardens Residents to Hold Protest Calling for Hotel to be Shut Down Following Shootings

Umbrella Hotel, at 124-18 Queens Blvd. (Google Maps)

Aug. 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Civic leaders and Kew Gardens residents are holding a protest Sunday to call on city hall to shutter a Queens Boulevard hotel where two shootings have taken place over the past two months.

The Queens Coalition for Solidarity, a local civic group, will rally Sunday to demand the city to shut down the Umbrella Hotel after a slew of illegal activities and loud parties inside its rooms has rocked the neighborhood.

The protest will be held at Queens Borough Hall, across from the troublesome hotel and is set to take place from noon to 2 p.m..

The hotel, located at 124-18 Queens Blvd., was the scene of two recent shootings — one on July 3 and one last Sunday, Aug. 9 that left the front door with multiple bullet holes.

Residents and local elected officials said the Umbrella Hotel has become a breeding ground for illicit activities since the pandemic began — and they want city hall to step in. They say there have been numerous assaults and other illegal activities.

“Our health and safety come first,” the Queens Coalition for Solidarity said in a Facebook Post. “We will demand City Hall shut down this dangerous and irresponsible hotel once and for all.”

The hotel’s vacancy rate soared since March as its typical clientele were people attending nearby court hearings or tourists. Room prices dropped as a result around April and people began taking advantage of the cheaper room rates. They rented out multiple rooms and threw large parties during the pandemic, according to neighbors and Assembly Member Daniel Rosenthal.

“People started to rent out four or five rooms for extremely cheap prices and they essentially started to use [the hotel] as an unofficial nightclub,” Rosenthal said.

The Queens Coalition for Solidarity and Rosenthal said there have been reports of prostitution, assault and narcotics at the hotel as well.

The Assembly Member has received calls from constituents with complaints about people setting off fireworks from the windows of the hotel. He said calls to his office began as quality of life concerns but quickly escalated to public safety concerns when Umbrella Hotel became the scene of two shootings.

“Thankfully no one got hurt, but how many bullets can we dodge?” Rosenthal said.

He called an emergency meeting on the hotel last week at borough hall. He said the hotel management was invited to the meeting, but didn’t show up along with multiple city agencies.

“It’s unacceptable. It’s time for the mayor and city hall to step up and take this situation seriously,” Rosenthal said in a video posted to Twitter. “There have been two shootings there. I don’t know what else needs to be done for them to realize how serious of a situation this is.”

Neither the Umbrella Hotel manager or owner were available for comment.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Port Authority announces JFK Airport traffic congestion plan as new terminal construction ramps up this summer

With construction ramping up over the summer on the $19 billion JFK Airport redevelopment project, the Port Authority opened a free drop-off, pickup and waiting lot at the AirTrain station at Lefferts Boulevard to help passengers avoid heavy traffic congestion at the terminal frontages.

The new lot will allow travelers to easily hop on to the free on-airport AirTrain with frequent service for an easy, eight-minute ride to the terminals, saving them time and anxiety from potential construction-related congestion.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.