You are reading

Long Island City Halloween Parade Will Make Long-Awaited Return Sunday

Long Island City’s largest Halloween parade will return Sunday for the first time since 2019 (Photos: Instagram)

Oct. 26, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

Long Island City’s largest Halloween parade will return Sunday for the first time since 2019.

The parade, called “Halloween in LIC,” typically sees hundreds of kids dressed in costumes march along Vernon Boulevard from 50th Avenue to 46th Avenue. The event was canceled last year due to bad weather and in 2020 because of COVID-19 restrictions.

This year participants will gather at noon outside the 108th Precinct House, located at 5-47 50th Ave.

Marchers will then leave the Precinct House at 12:15 p.m. and walk along Vernon Boulevard to 46th Avenue. The marchers will be led by firefighters from FDNY Engine 258/Ladder 115.

The six blocks on the boulevard will then fill with costume-clad marchers with businesses along the corridor offering candy, treats, and other goodies to parade-goers. There will also be a marching band and stilt walkers.

Many businesses along the route will be offering food and drinks specials during the day including Woodbines, located at 47-10 Vernon Blvd., while the real estate firm Modern Spaces will have giveaways and a photo booth at its premises at 47-42 Vernon Blvd.

Following the parade, there will be an afterparty from 1:30 p.m. at Jungly, a bar/restaurant located at 12-23 Jackson Ave. The establishment will have a haunted house and food/drink specials for parade-goers.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Halloween in LIC (@halloweenlic)

Gianna Cerbone-Teoli, a founder and co-organizer of Halloween in LIC, said she is looking forward to seeing kids in their creative costumes taking to the streets once again.

“It’s really all about the kids and creating a safe environment for them,” Cerbone-Teoli said. “We just want the kids to take a walk with their families, visit the businesses and enjoy themselves.”

In previous years, a kids festival called “Fall Fest” would take place at the Plaxall Gallery on 46th Avenue following the parade.

The Fall Fest, Cerbone-Teoli said, has been scrapped this year with organizers focusing entirely on the parade.

Cerbone-Teoli said there are various Halloween-themed events taking place in Long Island City over the next few days and organizers decided to offer a simplified version of the parade this year in order to make it easier on families.

Other events include a block party being hosted by the Court Square Civic Association. The organization’s event is scheduled for this Saturday on 45th Road from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Halloween in LIC (@halloweenlic)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Hollis cabbie charged with felony hate crime for allegedly vandalizing religious statue at Catholic church in Fresh Meadows: DA

A Southeast Queens taxi cab driver was charged with criminal mischief as a hate crime and other related crimes for vandalizing a religious statue at a Fresh Meadows church late last month just hours before Sunday mass.

Jamshaid Choudhry, 44, of 186th Street in Hollis, was arraigned Friday in Queens Criminal Court for allegedly smashing the head of a marble statue of the Child Jesus in front of the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, causing thousands of dollars in damage on June 30.

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.