You are reading

Long Island Expressway Overpass to Be Renamed After NYPD Detective Killed by Drunk Driver

State Sen. Toby Ann Stavisky and Assemblymember Nily Rozic are working on legislation to rename a Long Island Expressway overpass in Fresh Meadows after Detective Anastasios Tsakos, pictured, who was killed by a drunk driver in the line of duty (Photo: NYPD and GMaps)

May 20, 2022 By Czarinna Andres

Two eastern Queens lawmakers are working on renaming a Long Island Expressway overpass after an NYPD officer who was struck and killed by a drunk driver while directing traffic on the thoroughfare last year.

State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky and Assemblymember Nily Rozic aim to have the overpass located at Francis Lewis Boulevard and Horace Harding Expressway called Detective Anastasio Tsakos Memorial Bridge.

Stavisky has sponsored and passed legislation in the senate, while Rozic has introduced a bill in the assembly that is moving through committee.

Tsakos, who had served 13 years with the NYPD as a highway officer, was killed during the early hours April 27, 2021, while he was directing traffic on the Long Island Expressway in Fresh Meadows after an earlier crash that evening.

He was struck by Jessica Beauvais at around 2 a.m., who was allegedly driving drunk and had a suspended license. Beauvais fled the scene but was later apprehended. She was later charged by a grand jury with a 13-count indictment including aggravated manslaughter and vehicular manslaughter.

Tsakos left behind a wife, a 6-year-old daughter and a 3-year-old son.

“Detective Tsakos served honorably in the NYPD and his tragic, untimely loss has been felt in the hearts of many,” Rozic said. “I am grateful for the opportunity to honor his memory and service to New Yorkers with the renaming of the Fresh Meadow overpass as Detective Anastasio Tsakos Memorial Bridge.“

Stavisky said the renaming is a fitting honor.

“The Detective Anastasio Tsakos Memorial Bridge will not only keep his memory alive, but will also serve as a reminder of his heroism and line-of-duty death.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.