You are reading

Macy’s to Hold Fourth of July Fireworks Show Off Long Island City Tonight

A past Macy’s July 4 firework display (Macy’s)

June 29, 2020 By Christian Murray

Macy’s will be setting off fireworks off barges near Long Island City tonight as it kicks off its Fourth of July fireworks show, according to sources.

The company is providing short fireworks shows across the five boroughs each night this week that will be part of a 4th of July television special on Saturday. The first night– tonight– is going to be off Hunters Point Park South.

Each show will light up the sky for about 5 minutes and start at around 9:30 p.m. Macy’s will provide just a few hours notice each day as to where they will be held.

Macy’s NBC Camera Crew this evening in Long Island City (QueensPost)

“This year is going to be different,” de Blasio said earlier this month in terms of the way Macy’s is hosting the fireworks. “It will not be like the past where there’s one big giant show. We do not want a lot of people out watching.”

The shows are short and their locations are a surprise to prevent overcrowding of spectators.

Last year, the fireworks were set off in one big show from the Brooklyn Bridge and surrounding barges. In previous years they were fired from barges off Hunters Point South Park.

“This year, we are taking our Fireworks show on a trip across the city,” said Susan Tercero, Executive Producer Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks earlier this month.

The fireworks will be launched from various land and water-based locations across the city.

“These five-minute surprise displays will showcase Macy’s signature pyrotechnic design and scale, while encouraging spectators to continue following safety and social distancing measures,” Tercero said.

NBC Camera Crew This Evening in Long Island City (QueensPost)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.