You are reading

Major Sports League Can Plan to Reopen Without Fans: Cuomo

Yankee Stadium (Groupe Canam, Wikipedia CC BY-SA 3.0)

May 18, 2020 By Michael Dorgan 

Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced that New York’s major league sports teams can get back up and running– although without spectators.

The governor said the state will help sports franchises reopen if they can make it economically viable to do so under the condition.

“Hockey, basketball, baseball, football, whoever can reopen, we‘re a ready, willing and able partner,“ Cuomo said at a press briefing in Buffalo Monday.

Major sports leagues across the country have suspended or postponed their seasons due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, sports teams are looking to get back on the playing field as key COVID-19 indicators decline, and government restrictions ease.

The governor has been encouraging major sports teams to plan on reopening without fans but it will ultimately be their own decision, he said.

He said that some sports leagues can generate enough revenue from TV without relying on gate receipts from fans to operate.

“They have to make their own economic decision whether that economic model works for them,” he said.

Under current state guidelines, sports teams would be prevented from operating because their staff are not considered essential workers.

However, Cuomo said he is willing to work with teams to prepare for a return. He said teams would need to go through a ramp-up phase anyway and believes they can now begin this process.

This would make the transition phase of allowing fans inside stadiums easier, governor said.

The governor is eager to kick start the economy as the state budget deficit has swelled to $61 billion.

“I think this is in the best interest of all the people and in the best interest in the state of New York,” Cuomo said.

The move follows the announcement Saturday that horsing racing tracks will be permitted to reopen without fans starting June 1.

The Watkins Glen International auto-race track in Schuyler can also open from June 1 without spectators.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens man faces up to 30 years in prison in connection to fatal shooting of cop in Far Rockaway last month: DA

The driver involved in the fatal shooting of NYPD Detective Jonathan Diller in Far Rockaway last month was indicted on weapons charges, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Tuesday.

Lindy Jones, 41, of Rockaway Beach Boulevard in Edgemere, was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court on an indictment charging him with criminal possession of a weapon for a gun found in the car from which his codefendant Guy Rivera allegedly fired the fatal shot.

Construction collapse traps two workers at Springfield Gardens home Tuesday morning: FDNY

Firefighters and EMS personnel rescued two construction workers who were trapped and pinned under a concrete slab after a retaining wall collapsed on them in front of a Springfield Gardens home on Tuesday morning. The FDNY received a call of a trench collapse at around 9:42 a.m. at a two-story home at 135-40 229th St., where the workers became trapped after the porch caved in on them.

“They were trapped under there for a while, one looked unconscious,” a concerned neighbor said at the scene.