You are reading

Democratic socialist Zohran Mamdani sets fundraising record in 2025 NYC mayoral race

Via @zohrankmamdani on Facebook

Jan. 15, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

Assembly Member Zohran Mamdani’s mayoral campaign has raised $642,339 from 6,502 unique donors in its first 80 days, the most money raised by any candidate in a single filing period for the 2025 New York City mayoral election.

Mamdani, who represents New York’s 36th Assembly District including portions of Astoria and Ditmars, announced his candidacy for mayor in October and has now qualified for matching funds under the city’s 8:1 public financing program, which incentivizes candidates to appeal to New York City residents by matching donations made by people living in the city.

Mamdani’s campaign estimates that $300,000 of the funds raised so far will be matched by the financing program, unlocking an additional $2.4 million for the campaign and bringing the total raised to over $3 million.

The campaign stated that 84% of donors—equaling 5,460 people—live in New York City, and the median donation was $50. A significant number of people who contributed to Mamdani’s campaign were first-time donors, while educators were the most common profession to donate to the campaign.

Mamdani, a democratic socialist, said the donations exceeded “highest expectations” and said the level of financial support indicated an appetite throughout the city for a new approach to politics.

“I am overwhelmed and profoundly grateful for the outpouring of support from nearly every neighborhood in New York City,” Mamdani said in a statement. “We knew there was a hunger for a different kind of politics but this is beyond even our highest expectations. Our thousands of donors have launched us and our vision for a more affordable city into the top tier of this race.”

Mamdani has named rent freezes, free bus service, and free childcare among the top issues for his mayoral campaign.

His campaign announced the filings ahead of Wednesday’s public fundraising disclosure deadline.

Prior to the latest round of funding disclosures, only the campaign of former City Comptroller Scott Stringer had raised enough funds to meet the threshold to become eligible for matching funds.

However, several candidates have stated this week that they have also raised enough funds to qualify for the program.

State Sen. Zellnor Myrie announced Tuesday that he has now raised $647,449, enabling him to unlock over $2.3 million in public funds. Prominent New York lawyer Jim Walden also announced Monday that he has raised almost $629,736, also unlocking funds under the public financing program.

Former Comptroller Brad Lander also announced this week that he has received enough donations to be eligible for the program.

Mayor Eric Adams has been denied access to the financing program due to the ongoing federal corruption case.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Where's Jimmy?

Probably coming from the outside. He is a horrible assemblyman and a bigot who hates Jews. I wonder how much of the money came from Soros.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.