You are reading

Man Struck Dead By Subway at 74th Street Station After Falling onto Tracks During Fight

A man was struck dead by an oncoming train at the 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue subway station Monday after he fell onto the tracks during a fight with another straphanger (Photos: Citizen)

Oct. 18, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A man was struck dead by an oncoming train at the 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue subway station Monday after he fell onto the tracks during a fight with another straphanger.

The victim, Heriberto Quintana, 48, landed on the tracks at around 4:45 p.m. and was then hit by a Jamaica-bound F train that was entering the station, according to the NYPD. Police have yet to determine whether Quintana was pushed or whether he accidentally stumbled onto the tracks during the scuffle.

Quintana, who was from Jamaica Hills, was removed from under the train with severe trauma to the body. He was then transported by EMS to Elmhurst Hospital where he could not be saved.

Police say that Quintana was involved in a physical fight with a 50-year-old man on the northbound F-train platform moments before he was struck.

The fight started after Quintana accidentally bumped into the 50-year-old, the New York Post reported citing cops and police sources.

The 50-year-old’s cell phone then dropped onto the tracks and he yelled at Quintana to retrieve it. Quintana refused and the pair got into a scuffle, which resulted in Quintana falling on the tracks. The New York Post reported that Quintana was pushed, which the NYPD did not confirm.

An MTA worker said the two men had been arguing in Spanish before Quintana landed on the tracks.

“You could hear them yelling on the mezzanine level,” the worker told the Post. “Then I heard screams and ran down to the platform.”

The 50-year-old was taken into custody and the investigation is ongoing, police said.

He had not been charged as of Tuesday morning.

The Medical Examiner will ultimately determine the cause of death.

Should yesterday’s incident be ruled a homicide, it would take the number of murders in the city’s subway system this year to nine.

There were eight homicides in the subway system in all of 2021, a 25-year high.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.