You are reading

Mayor de Blasio Unveils Plan to Expand Restaurant Outdoor Seating for Phase Two

Outdoor sidewalk seating at Blend Astoria shown here in July 2018 (Google Maps)

June 4, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled the city’s plan today to expand outdoor seating for restaurants, which are expected to reopen for dining in July after being shuttered for months.

New York City will begin reopening parts on its economy Monday in what is known as phase one of reopening. Restaurants and other many other businesses will follow in phase two, which may begin as early as the beginning of July, de Blasio said today.

During phase two, eateries — which have been limited to take-out and delivery only during the coronavirus pandemic — will be able to create outdoor seating space without going through the city’s cumbersome permit application process.

The outdoor seating will allow restaurant patrons to safely social distance from one another to prevent the virus from spreading. Research shows that COVID-19 is less likely to infect people outdoors.

“Our Open Restaurants plan will help these businesses maximize their customer base while maintaining the social distancing we need to beat this crisis once and for all,” de Blasio said.

The city will allow sidewalk seating for restaurants as long as there is a clear path for pedestrians and people with disabilities.

Eateries in commercial corridors will also be able to convert parking spaces to outdoor seating areas for patrons by registering online. They cannot block hydrants or bus stops and must ensure seating is located away from intersections, de Blasio said.

(NYC.GOV)

Lastly, establishments located within the confines of the “open streets” plan will be able to set up seating areas directly in front of their venue on the roadbed. The city has converted more than 45 miles of city streets from vehicular use to exclusive pedestrian and cyclist use through the open streets plan.

The city will also identify and close off traffic along commercial strips with a large number of restaurants and bars as it expands the open streets initiative in the coming weeks and months.

“This plan will enliven our commercial corridors and provide businesses with a much-needed opportunity to generate further revenue while maintaining safety,” said Jonnel Doris, Commissioner of the NYC Department of Small Business Services.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue