You are reading

Mayor Extends Open Storefronts Program Through September 2021

The Mayor announced the extension of the Open Storefronts program Tuesday (Mayor’s Office)

Dec. 30, 2020 By Christian Murray

The mayor announced Tuesday that the city is extending a pilot program that allows storefront owners to sell goods on the sidewalk.

The initiative, dubbed the Open Storefronts program, was launched at the end of October and will now be in operation until Sept. 30, 2021. The program is modeled after the successful Open Restaurants program and allows business owners to sell and display their merchandise on a portion of the sidewalk.

The program requires participating businesses to keep an eight-foot clear path of sidewalk from the curb. Retailers cannot use the space of adjacent businesses.

The businesses must also bring all furniture and goods indoors when they are closed.

The initiative aims to help brick-and-mortar businesses, which have taken a hit due to COVID-19. The program was also established to increase public safety–by encouraging outdoor shopping and making social distancing easier.

“Open Storefronts has given business owners an easy way to maximize their space and keep customers safe as they shop,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio. “We remain committed to giving small businesses more chances to thrive, and we’re excited to give them more opportunities to participate in this program throughout the winter and warmer months.”

The mayor has expanded the program, allowing businesses to sell pre-packaged food on sidewalks and to use sidewalks for take-out orders.

City officials hope that more businesses will take advantage of the program–particularly when the weather heats up. Since the program was launched, only a few hundred businesses out of the nearly 40,000 businesses that qualify have enrolled for the Open Storefronts program.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.