You are reading

More Than 15,500 New Yorkers Have Received COVID-19 Funeral Aid

Stock image (Photo by Mayron Oliveira on Unsplash)

Oct. 7, 2021 By Allie Griffin

More than 15,500 New Yorkers have received a total of $107 million to help bury their loved ones who died of COVID-19.

The recipients were able to tap into the funds from the federal COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program, which recently expanded eligibility after facing pressure from two local legislators. The expansion allowed 1,600 additional people to receive funds.

The FEMA program helps families pay, or be reimbursed, for the funeral expenses of their loved ones who died of the coronavirus.

However, many people who lost family members early into the pandemic were unable to access the funds because the program required that the deceased’s death certificate list COVID-19 as the cause of death.

Early in the pandemic, hospitals had limited COVID-19 testing and knowledge of the virus’ varied presentations — which meant the official cause of death was not always listed as the coronavirus despite its probability.

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez announcing the program last year (Photo: @SenSchumer)

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer pushed FEMA to loosen this requirement so more people could access funeral assistance.

“From the start, we stressed to FEMA that this program needed to put accessibility first,” Ocasio-Cortez and Schumer said in a joint statement. “We cannot have families, who have already lost so much, burdened by impossible bureaucratic obstacles.”

The agency agreed.

On June 29, FEMA changed its policy to allow applicants who lost a relative between Jan. 20, 2020 and May 16, 2020 to instead provide a signed letter from the original certifier of the death certificate or the local medical examiner or coroner certifying the cause of death was likely COVID-19.

The policy change resulted in more than 1,600 New Yorkers receiving a combined $10 million in reimbursement for burial expenses. Each applicant was able to receive up to $9,000 per burial retroactively.

“We’re grateful to FEMA for working with us to make this change so that families in need could get some of the relief they need,” the legislators said.

FEMA is still accepting applications via phone at 844-684-6333.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens man faces up to 30 years in prison in connection to fatal shooting of cop in Far Rockaway last month: DA

The driver involved in the fatal shooting of NYPD Detective Jonathan Diller in Far Rockaway last month was indicted on weapons charges, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Tuesday.

Lindy Jones, 41, of Rockaway Beach Boulevard in Edgemere, was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court on an indictment charging him with criminal possession of a weapon for a gun found in the car from which his codefendant Guy Rivera allegedly fired the fatal shot.

Construction collapse traps two workers at Springfield Gardens home Tuesday morning: FDNY

Firefighters and EMS personnel rescued two construction workers who were trapped and pinned under a concrete slab after a retaining wall collapsed on them in front of a Springfield Gardens home on Tuesday morning. The FDNY received a call of a trench collapse at around 9:42 a.m. at a two-story home at 135-40 229th St., where the workers became trapped after the porch caved in on them.

“They were trapped under there for a while, one looked unconscious,” a concerned neighbor said at the scene.