You are reading

More Than 3,000 Queens Households Still Without Power a Week After Storm

Downed trees and power lines at 172 Street, between 33rd and 35th Avenues, in North Flushing on Aug. 10 (Courtesy of Council Member Paul Vallone’s office)

Aug. 11, 2020 By Allie Griffin

More than 3,000 Queens households are still without power a week after winds from Tropical Storm Isaias took down trees and power lines.

As of 10:15 a.m. today, 3,645 households in the borough still do not have power.

Power in the three other outer boroughs has been largely restored, however thousands of customers in Queens and Westchester county are still in the dark.

The storm produced gusts of up to 70 miles per hour and caused approximately 300,000 Con Edison customers across the greater New York City region to lose service.

Con Edison has come under fire for the delayed repairs.

The company first estimated that customers would get power back by Sunday night at the latest and then by Monday night when they didn’t meet their Sunday deadline.

Yet, it’s now one week after the storm hit New York City and thousands of residents are still without power in Queens, Westchester and the Bronx.

Many local officials in Queens condemned Con Edison for not preparing better for the storm.

“Unacceptable is an understatement,” Acting Borough President Sharon Lee said. “ConEd has utterly and spectacularly failed Queens.”

The company’s own numbers show it surged power restoration in other boroughs, but deprived Queens — where the greatest number of customers lost power in the city — of the same urgency, Lee added.

She said patience for Con Edison “has rightfully long run dry.”

“The only thing reliable about ConEd post-Isaias has been its consistent failure to communicate accurately and effectively to its customers and representative officials.”

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez condemned Con Edison’s management and said it is clear they weren’t prepared for the storm.

“In the peak of summer, our elderly are being trapped indoors without A/C and, given the risk presented by COVID-19, they have few safe options for leaving their home to find respite,” she said in a statement.

Four elected officials are calling for more action.

City Council Members Paul Vallone, Adrienne Adams, Robert Holden and Justin Brannan want accountability and emergency council hearings on the city’s lack of emergency preparedness and vulnerable infrastructure, specifically in the outer boroughs.

“Tropical Storm Isaias created a perfect storm for the disastrous restoration response received by residents across the borough of Queens,” Adams said in a statement. “It is shameful that thousands were kept in harm’s way due to Con Edison’s lack of ability to do the work that is expected during an emergency.”

She said the City Council must immediately facilitate hearings to learn the root causes “of such crisis unpreparedness.”

Vallone said patience has worn out in Queens, where close to 50,000 households lost power following the storm and nearly 10,000 tree-related complaints were filed.

“In the last week, we’ve seen clear communication breakdowns, agencies blaming agencies, crews showing up and leaving without explanation, the collapse of aging infrastructure and old or ailing city trees, and a concerning lack of coordination between the Parks Department, Con Edison and OEM,” Vallone said.

“The result: our hardest hit neighborhoods have been left in the dark. It’s more apparent than ever that we need accountability and reform,” he added.

Holden said the devastation Queens residents have faced as a result of the storm was preventable on many levels.

“It’s extremely frustrating that Queens residents were left to suffer amid the chain reaction of city failures exposed by Tropical Storm Isaias,” he said.

Photo: Council Member Holden (Facebook)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.