You are reading

More Than 90 Percent of NYC Restaurants Couldn’t Afford December Rent: Report

Feb. 17, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Restaurant owners are struggling to keep their businesses afloat after relying on outdoor dining alone during the cold winter months.

Indoor dining just reopened in the city at 25 percent capacity last Friday, but a new report shows the toll its absence has had on city eateries.

More than 90 percent of New York City restaurants couldn’t afford their December rent, according to a survey conducted by the NYC Hospitality Alliance, a nonprofit association that represents NYC restaurants, bars and nightlife.

The survey found that 92 percent of the more than 400 restaurants who responded to the survey couldn’t pay their rent for December. That’s up from 88 percent in October and 80 percent in June, the association said.

About 40 percent of the respondents said their landlords reduced rent due to COVID-19, but just 14 percent have been able to successfully re-negotiate leases, the survey found.

The restaurant industry has shed more than 140,000 jobs in the last year due to the pandemic and accompanying restrictions, the report states. Before COVID-19 devastated the industry, New York City’s 25,000 restaurants, bars and nightclubs employed 325,000 people, according to the NYC Hospitality Alliance.

Thousands of bars and restaurants have permanently closed, the association said.

The NYC Hospitality Alliance applauded the recent return of indoor dining, but said 25 percent capacity isn’t enough to help struggling small businesses.

They want it to be increased to 50 percent as it is in other parts of the state.

“We’re nearly a year into the public health and economic crisis that has decimated New York City’s restaurants, bars, and nightlife venues,” said Andrew Rigie, executive director of the NYC Hospitality Alliance.

“While the reopening of highly regulated indoor dining is welcome news, we need to safely increase occupancy to 50% as soon as possible, and we urgently need robust and comprehensive financial relief from the federal government.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens parents of teen driver sentenced on child endangerment charges after son allegedly killed a girl during a horrific collision: DA

A Springfield Gardens couple was sentenced in Queens Supreme Court on Monday in a groundbreaking case of endangering the welfare of a child charges for allowing their 16-year-old son to drive a sports car they gave him before he was old enough to drive.

The teenager was charged with manslaughter in the death of 14-year-old Fortune Williams, who was riding in the car when the youngster was in a gruesome collision with a delivery truck while speeding more than 100 miles per hour in January 2023.

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.