You are reading

MTA Fair Fares Program Cut by $65 Million in the New City Budget

House Speaker Corey Johnson (NYC Council)

July 2, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The MTA’s Fair Fares program has been cut by $65 million in the new city budget.

The program subsidizes mass transit for low-income residents by applying a 50 percent discount on subway and eligible bus fares.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said that record-low MTA ridership during the pandemic – coupled with a $9 billion tax revenue shortfall – led to the decision to reduce funding for the program.

“It was an effective, important program,” the mayor said Tuesday before the council voted to approve his $88.1 billion executive budget.

House Speaker Corey Johnson — who helped launch the program with the mayor last year– said in a statement that the cut “right-sized” spending on the program to reflect under-enrollment during the pandemic.

The Fair Fares program received $106 million in each of the city’s last two budgets, according to the New York Daily News. The announcement means that it has now been cut to $41 million for FY2021.

Johnson said the move would not affect the number of candidates who qualify for the scheme. Around 800,000 city residents qualify for reduced MTA fares.

“Anyone who applies for a reduced-priced MetroCard and is eligible will still receive one,” he said.

The program was launched in early 2019 for residents receiving cash assistance and was expanded over the course of the year to include NYCHA residents, CUNY students and veteran students.

Open enrollment in the scheme began in January for city residents living at or below the federal poverty line—which is $12,760 for a single-person household or $21,720 for a family of three.

Nearly 193,000 people have signed up to the program so far, according to the New York Daily News

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
George

Of course there has been a record low ridership, the pandemic scared people away coupled with the deaths of over 100 MTA employees further caused additional concerns over riders safety. But those cuts are expected, why continue a program that helps and will effect people of color once cut.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.