You are reading

MTA Holds Press Conference in Corona to Announce That Cameras Will be Installed in All Subway Cars

Gov. Kathy Hochul and MTA Chief Executive Officer Janno Lieber tour the MTA’s Corona Maintenance Facility in Queens and announce that security cameras will be installed in all subway cars (Photo courtesy of governor’s office)

Sept. 20, 2022 By Christian Murray

Gov. Kathy Hochul was in Corona Tuesday to announce that security cameras will be installed in all subway cars.

The governor said that the MTA will place two cameras on each of its more than 6,400 subway cars. The announcement follows the installation of 10,000 cameras across all 472 subway stations.

Hochul said the cameras will be added at a rate of 200 train cars per month, with the aim to have the entire fleet camera equipped sometime in 2025. The MTA has already installed cameras in 100 cars as part of a pilot program it started earlier this summer.

The governor said that the cameras would help the NYPD solve transit crimes, while also acting as a deterrent to would-be criminals. The MTA has received $5.5 million of state and federal funds to pay for the cameras.

“My number one priority as Governor is keeping New Yorkers safe,”  Hochul said at a news conference this morning, which was held at the MTA’s Corona Maintenance Facility. “I am proud that we will be installing cameras on all subway cars – expanding our security capabilities, deterring crime, and providing our law enforcement with support. As we continue welcoming riders back to the transit system, we will continue doing everything in our power to keep riders safe.”

The announcement comes at a time when transit crime has been on the rise. According to the latest NYPD data, transit crimes are up 46 percent through Sept. 18, compared to the same period a year ago.

“Riders should know we’ve got their back for their entire journey and this significant upgrade – made possible by new dollars from Governor Hochul – is a great step towards reinforcing New Yorkers’ confidence in mass transit safety,” said MTA Chair and CEO Janno Lieber.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Larry Penner

Also needed is a return to a time decades ago when a transit police officer was assigned to ride each train and others patrolled stations. Are security cameras being installed on the 535 subway cars (from the previous $32 billion 2015- 2019) and 1900 subway cars (from the current $51 billion 2020 – 2024 Capital Plan) under contracts previously awarded to subway car builders currently being built or will they have to be installed after delivery? Will the MTA make public a detailed schedule for advertising and award of contracts to vendors for purchase of cameras? When will the MTA release a detailed project schedule? This would identify the quantities and location for installation week by week, month by month and year by year? Is any of this work being performed by NYC Transit employees versus outside contractors? Making public this information is one way commuters and taxpayers can monitor the progress to see if the MTA will meet the promised completion date of 2025 for installation of cameras on all subway cars along with 130 subway stations. .

(Larry Penner — transportation advocate, historian and writer who previously worked for the Federal Transit Administration Region 2 NY Office. This included the development, review, approval and oversight for billions in capital projects and programs for the MTA, NYC Transit, Metro North Rail Road, MTA Bus along with 30 other transit agencies in NY & NJ)

.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.