You are reading

New Jersey motorist busted more than a month after a crash in Maspeth killed a cyclist from Corona: NYPD

A New Jersey man was arrested and charged with reckless driving and other crimes in a fatal collision in Maspeth last month that left a Corona cyclist dead. Photo via Getty Images

Mar. 27, 2024 By Bill Parry

A New Jersey truck driver was arrested Tuesday and booked at the 108th Precinct in Long Island City in connection to a fatal collision that killed a Corona cyclist in Maspeth last month.

Yakup Mace, 46, of Lawton Avenue in Cliffside Park, is charged with reckless driving, tampering with evidence, filing a false report, and other crimes in the crash that killed 47-year-old Jorge Galicia of 43rd Avenue on the night of Thursday, Feb. 22.

The victim was riding between Frank Principe Park and Mt. Zion Cemetery just after 8 p.m. when he crashed into a box truck driven by Mace at the intersection of Maurice Avenue and 54th Avenue. Police from the 108th Precinct responded to a 911 call of a vehicle collision involving a bicyclist where they found Galicias lying on the roadway just north of the Long Island Expressway, with “sustained trauma throughout the body,” according to the NYPD.

EMS responded to the scene of the crash and rushed the victim to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short while later.

Further investigation by the NYPD’s Highway District Collision Investigation Squad determined that Galicias slammed into the side door of a white Chevrolet box truck that was traveling southbound on Maurice Avenue.

Mace remained at the scene but was taken into custody more than a month later after investigators determined he made false statements. He was additionally charged with failure to yield, failure to use due care resulting in serious injury, unsafe movement of a stopped motor vehicle, and making an illegal U-turn, according to the NYPD.

email the author:
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Arsenal of ghost guns and thousands of rounds seized during Rockaway Park raid: DA

A Rockaway Park man was criminally charged with a slew of crimes after an arsenal of more than 30 firearms, including ghost guns and assault weapons, was uncovered along with thousands of rounds of ammunition and other weapons-related paraphernalia were seized during a raid at his home on Beach 117th Street on Wednesday.

Ryszard Materna, 51, was arraigned Thursday before Queens Criminal Court Judge Germaine Auguste on a 281-count complaint after a long-term investigation into his purchase of polymer-based firearm components that can easily be assembled into operable weapons, known as ghost guns.

Armed robber hits 7-Eleven stores in three Queens neighborhoods in just over an hour Wednesday morning: NYPD

Police from two Queens NYPD precincts are looking for an armed robber who targeted 7-Eleven stores in three different neighborhoods in just over an hour during the early morning of Wednesday, Apr. 17.

Police from the 106th Precinct in Ozone Park reported that the first heist went down just before 2:25 a.m. at the 7-Eleven located at 112-11 Liberty Ave. in South Richmond Hill. The perpetrator allegedly pulled out a handgun and demanded money from the 23-year-old man behind the counter, who complied, handing over $400 in cash from the register, police said.

Jamaica Estates man beaten, robbed by bat-wielding thugs near Cunningham Park: NYPD

A 22-year-old Jamaica Estates man was beaten and robbed in broad daylight three blocks west of Cunningham Park on Saturday, and police from the 107th Precinct in Fresh Meadows are looking for the suspects who attacked him with a baseball bat.

The incident occurred just after 7 p.m., as the victim was walking home in the vicinity of 189th Street and Aberdeen Avenue when he was set upon by the two assailants who struck him in the face and head with the baseball bat, police said. They forcibly removed his cell phone and fled in a black Pontiac Grand Am, heading northbound on 109th Street toward Union Turnpike.