You are reading

New York City’s COVID Positivity Rate Surpasses 3 Percent For First Time in Months

(Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

Sept. 29, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City’s COVID-19 positivity rate surpassed 3 percent for the first time since June, as thousands of public school students returned to school buildings today.

The city’s daily positivity rate swelled to 3.25 percent, largely due to growing clusters in nine zip codes across Queens and Brooklyn, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday.

“The fact is for the first time in quite a while the daily number is over 3 percent and that is cause for real concern,” de Blasio said.

The COVID positivity rate, on a seven-day rolling average, however, remained lower — at 1.38 percent.

De Blasio has previously said he would shut down schools if the citywide infection rate exceeds 3 percent. He clarified today that the seven-day average rate must be more than 3 percent to make that call.

However, COVID-19 cases are increasing at an alarming rate in nine neighborhoods which could affect the city’s seven-day average infection rate.

Health officials identified the areas at hotspots last week, including Kew Gardens and Far Rockaway.

Today they announced new enforcement measures to stop the spread of the virus in each zip code.

City workers will now issue fines to people in the nine communities who refuse to wear a mask after they are warned, de Blasio announced. The city health department will also shut down any private school or child care center that doesn’t follow the Department of Education COVID guidelines.

The city will go further and shutdown all private schools and nonessential businesses in the hotspots if the situation gets worse, de Blasio said.

According to the latest data, Kew Gardens (11415) has a coronavirus positivity rate of 3.61 percent and Far Rockaway – Edgemere (11691) has a positivity rate of 3.98 percent.

The virus is growing in nearby communities as well.  The infection rate in Kew Gardens Hills – Pomonok (11367) reached 3.04 percent and the rate in Rego Park is at 4.49 percent, de Blasio said Tuesday.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
Sara Ross

I’m in Forest Hills and people are still walking around without masks. Mostly teens/20-30 year olds, and anybody who goes to the temples in the area. They also gather in clusters and don’t give a dam about people walking on the sidewalk who have to walk in the street to get away from them! Mayor Butthead said there will be fines for the un-masked but who’s going to fine them when the police can’t be driving around areas looking for people all day and night? Too bad we can’t make citizen arrests.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.