You are reading

New York Schools Will Remain Closed Through End of Academic Year: Cuomo

Governor Cuomo announced that all schools in the state will remain closed for the remainder of the academic year (Darren McGee/ Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

May 1, 2020 By Allie Griffin

All New York school and college buildings will remain closed through the end of the academic year, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

Cuomo made the announcement weeks after Mayor Bill de Blasio said New York City public schools will stay closed through the end of the term.

The two lawmakers have butted heads over the issue of who has the authority to close and reopen schools since the coronavirus pandemic took hold of New York City.

Cuomo said the mayor didn’t have the authority to keep city school facilities shuttered hours after de Blasio made the call on April 11.

“He didn’t close them, and he can’t open them,” Cuomo said at the time.

De Blasio held his ground and said all schools must remain closed for the safety of students and teachers. Cuomo finally agreed.

“We’re going to have the schools remained closed for the rest of the year,” Cuomo said at an Albany press briefing today. “We’re going to continue the distance learning programs.”

Cuomo added that he’ll decide if summer school will be in-person or online by the end of the month.

Catholic schools within New York City, including Brooklyn and Queens, will also remain closed under Cuomo’s order.

“We just learned of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s decision that all elementary and secondary schools shall remain closed for the duration of the current 2019-2020 school year, as New York continues efforts to prevent the spread of Coronavirus,” Dr. Thomas Chadzutko, Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Brooklyn, said in a statement.

“As such, the Catholic academies and parish schools within the Diocese of Brooklyn, which includes Queens, will remain closed through the end of June.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue