You are reading

Nine-Story Building Planned for Former Shalimar Diner Site; Zoning Change Needed

A nine-story mixed use development is planned where Shalimar Diner was once located (DCP).

Oct. 23, 2020 By Christian Murray

A developer has filed plans with the Department of City Planning to have a Rego Park site where the Shalimar Diner was located rezoned.

The application was filed earlier this year by David Koptiev, the owner of the Forest Hills-based company Platinum Realty, who is looking to construct a nine-story, 74-unit project on the 63-68 Austin St. site.

The plans were certified by City Planning on Oct. 5 and the public review process has begun.

The site had been occupied by the Shalimar Diner from 1974 through to the end of 2018. The corner property was purchased by two LLCs owned by Koptiev for $6,550,000 on Nov. 15, 2018 from Alderton Associates.

Alderton was owned by Hildy Limondjian, whose family had the property for decades.

The Austin Street site is currently located in a R4 zoning district—with a C2-2 commercial overlay—which typically allows for a three-story mixed use building, according to City Planning documents.

Shalimar Diner (Queens Post 2018)

Koptiev requires a zoning change to a R7A district with a C2-3 commercial overlay in order to move forward with the 9-story plan.

The plan involves the development of 74 units, with 24 of the units to be designated as Affordable Independent Residences for Seniors (AIRS). The affordable units would target seniors earning less that 80 percent Area Median Income in accordance with the city’s Mandatory Inclusionary Housing program. For a couple, 80 percent is $72,800 per year.

The development would consist of 24 studios, 24 one-bedroom units and 26 two-bedroom units, which would be located on floors 2 through 9.

The ground floor would consist of retail and there would be 45 parking spaces and 38 bicycle parking spaces.

Ben Koptiev, a representative of Platinum Realty, said the company has yet to produce a detailed rendering of the project.

The plans– since a zoning change is needed–are about to go before Community Board 6 for review. The board is required to hold a public hearing before issuing an advisory opinion on the project and whether a zoning change should be permitted.

The plans will then go to the Queens Borough President’s office for another advisory opinion, before going to the City Planning Commission and then the city council for a binding vote.

The plan will need the support of Council Member Karen Koslowitz, since it is customary for the council to vote according to the wishes of the representative where the zoning change is proposed.

Koslowitz has yet to weigh in on the project and will not come to a decision until a final plan comes together, according to Michael Cohen, a spokesperson for Koslowitz. The final plan, he said, would be shaped by community input, city planning and the city council.

“This plan is not written in stone, and like most ULURP applications, there will be modifications,” Cohen said. “Essentially, the general question to be considered is this: is the added density that this project will create justified by the added number of sorely needed affordable units?”

The public review process is expected to take about seven months.

Koptiev aims to complete the project in 2022, according to City Planning filings.

A nine-story mixed use development is planned where Shalimar Diner was once located (DCP).

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.