You are reading

Police Release Image of Suspect Wanted for Scrawling Swastika on Rego Park Synagogue

Suspect (NYPD)

Feb. 21, 2021 By Christina Santucci

The NYPD released a surveillance image Sunday of a man suspected of scrawling a swastika on a Rego Park synagogue last week.

Police said the man went up to the front of the Rego Park Jewish Center, located at 97-30 Queens Blvd. at about 10:50 a.m. Feb. 17 and drew the hateful symbol with a marker. He then fled, cops said.

Photos tweeted by the group Queens Schmira showed the swastika had been on a “public property” sign affixed to steps leading up to the synagogue, and volunteers from the group removed it.

The vandalism is being investigated as a bias incident, an NYPD spokesperson said Sunday.

Elected officials including Queens Borough President Donovan Richards and Governor Andrew Cuomo have denounced the anti-Semitic graffiti.

“None of us should ever be made to feel unsafe or unwelcome in our own communities,” Richards said in a statement.

Cuomo also directed the State Police Hate Crimes Task Force to assist with the investigation into the swastika.

“There is no place for hate in New York State – not now, not ever – and we will continue to condemn these hateful acts whenever and wherever we see them,” the governor said in a statement.

The suspect was described as approximately 20 to 30 years old, and the NYPD asked anyone with information about the man’s identity to get in touch through the Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or its website.

The swastika scrawled outside the Rego Park Jewish Center (Queens Shmira)

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Not shocked at all

Didn’t see that coming. Lol. But he’ll claim he is illiterate and tried to draw a flower for peace. If ever caught he’ll be out sooner than the other guy. Apparently these crimes are committed because society doesn’t love these people.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.