You are reading

Progressive Council Candidate Comes Under Fire for Racist Facebook Posts Made 10 Years Ago

Juan Ardila, a candidate for the 30th Council district, is under fire for a series of Facebook posts he made while at high school (Photo: juanforthepeople)

April 27, 2021 By Ryan Songalia

A city council candidate is under fire for racist and misogynistic social media posts he made as a teenager.

Juan Ardila, who is challenging incumbent city council member Robert Holden in District 30, has apologized after the New York Post published a story Sunday reporting on the posts. The posts all appear to be from 2009 to 2011, when the now 27-year-old was a high school student.

Among the posts published are an anti-Asian slur used against Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao, as well as derogatory comments against gay people, women and Jews. Ardila also reportedly used the N-word. The NY Post published screen shots of some of the now-deleted posts.

Holden, who is seeking a second term representing the district comprised of Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth, Middle Village, Woodhaven and Woodside, said he was “shocked and saddened” by the posts from Ardila.

“There is no place anywhere in the Democratic Party, on the New York City Council or in the City of New York for the kind of racist, homophobic, misogynistic language that Mr. Ardila has publicly posted on social media,” said Holden.

A spokesperson for Ardila issued a statement in response to the criticism—and argued that Holden was using the controversy to distract from his own record.

“Juan regrets making hurtful comments when he was a kid, but the reality is that Bob Holden has used his platform as an elected official to hurt and disenfranchise vulnerable New Yorkers for years,” Ardila’s spokesperson said.

Assembly member Catherine Nolan and former assembly member Mike Miller joined Holden in condemning Ardila’s posts.

“The hate-filled social media posts written by Mr. Ardila which have recently come to light are deeply troubling, and are a sufficient cause to reject Juan Ardila as an appropriate candidate for elected office,” Nolan said.

“The racist statements which have been made by Ardila in this race are disqualifying – our communities need mature leaders who will fight for our neighborhood’s share of city services, and support our communities,” Miller added.

Ardila has garnered the endorsements of a number of elected officials in the borough, including Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, city council member Jimmy Van Bramer and State Senators Jessica Ramos and Michael Gianaris, plus organizations like the Working Families Party.

Holden has called on all of the officials and organizations to retract their endorsements.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.