You are reading

Protesters and Queens Electeds Clash at 34th Avenue Open Streets Ribbon Cutting Monday

A long-running dispute between supporters and advocates for the 34th Avenue Open Street initiative in Jackson Heights continued Monday as elected officials in favor of the plan were confronted by protesters (Photo: DOT)

Oct. 25, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A long-running dispute between supporters and opponents of the 34th Avenue Open Street initiative in Jackson Heights clashed Monday when elected officials cut the ribbon to mark the completion of the controversial 1.3-mile initiative.

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Assemblymember Catalina Cruz and Councilmember Shekar Krishnan were heckled during the event to mark the completion of a major redesign of the permanent Open Street initiative.

The project, also referred to as Paseo Park, has seen the DOT convert 26 blocks from Junction Boulevard to 69th Street along 34th Avenue into a series of pedestrian plazas and traffic-restricted zones.

Advocates for Paseo Park argue that the open streets initiative has been a huge success, reducing the number of traffic-related incidents and creating much-needed public space. The DOT and the mayor have long called the avenue the “gold standard” of the city’s Open Streets initiative.

Opponents of the plan say that it eliminates much-needed parking and makes it harder for emergency vehicles to access residents in need.

Video posted online yesterday shows demonstrators clashing with Richards and Cruz during their respective speeches on 34th Avenue, between 79th Street and 80th Street. A group of around 15 protestors had gathered at the side of a podium where the speeches were being voiced.

In one video, a woman can be seen heckling Richards as he speaks.

“What you did is despicable, despicable,” the woman says, referring to the Open Streets plan. “You have not lived with the mess you created.”

In another video, a man can be seen disputing accident statistics put forward by Cruz to justify the Open Streets plan.

Cruz said that 16 residents had been killed by cars in the neighborhood in the last 10 years. The man questioned the statistics and doubted that they exclusively pertained to the 34th Avenue stretch that is now called Paseo Park.

He also asked how many children were among the fatalities.

“Whether they are children or not these are 16 members of our community,” Cruz says, before asking the man to settle down. “Can you just give us 30 seconds, this is what we deal with, people just don’t care.”

Yesterday was not the first time both sides have clashed.

Last month, the initiative’s co-founder said he was the victim of homophobic slurs leveled at him by members of a group opposed to the DOT’s changes, while a video posted online showing an FDNY fire truck failing to maneuver a turn on 34th Avenue onto 79th Street intensified the dispute between the sides.

Monday’s event was attended by Dept. of Transportation Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez, former Councilmember Daniel Dromm Richards as well as representatives for the 34th Avenue Open Streets Coalition and Friends of 34th Avenue Linear Park, two volunteer groups in favor of the project.

Krishnan said that the number of crashes has been drastically reduced along 34th Avenue since the Open Streets program was first implemented in 2020.

“As a parent of two small children, I cannot say enough how urgent the issue of pedestrian safety is for New York City families,” Krishnan said.

“If we are going to save lives, we must create safer streets.”

Several hecklers also heckled and jeered at Krishnan during his speech.

The elected officials also held a sign referring to DOT data which found that pedestrian accidents on 34th Avenue were down 41.7 percent from May 1, 2020, to April 30, 2021.

The data is derived from a DOT presentation in April on plans for the 34th Open Streets redesign. The DOT did not respond in time for publication to explain how that figure was determined.

(DOT 34th Ave Paseo Park Design Presentation, page 4)

The officials also used the occasion to announce a new initiative that will extend the hours of Open Streets across the city on Oct. 31. for Halloween.

The initiative, called Trick-or-Streets, will see more than 100 Open Streets closed to traffic from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Richards said the initiative was another example of the benefits of Open Street programs.

“Turning these spaces into spooky hubs of haunted Halloween fun for families next week is yet another incredible example of why the Open Streets program is so great.”

However, some of the protesters at the ribbon-cutting event also took issue with Trick-or-Streets since it would completely shut down Paseo Park for four hours — as opposed to having limited access to the 34th Avenue Open Street.

They say there is already an annual parade for kids on Oct. 31 — which will run along 37th Avenue from 89th Street to 76th Street – and therefore it is unnecessary to close 34th Avenue.

City officials and local volunteers cut the ribbon on the 34th Avenue Open Street Monday (Photo DOT)

Officials and advocates also held a sign referring to DOT data which found that pedestrian accidents on 34th Avenue were down 41.7 percent from May 1, 2020, to April 30, 2021. (Photo: DOT)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘Limitless possibility’: BP Richards announces community visioning workshops on redevelopment of Creedmoor Psychiatric Center campus in Queens Village

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. and Empire State Development on Tuesday, Jan. 31, announced the launch of a series of community visioning workshops that will be held to hear input from eastern Queens residents about the redevelopment of the 50-acre Creedmoor Psychiatric Center campus in Queens Village. 

The first community visioning workshop will be held on Thursday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m. at P.S./I.S. 208 located at 74-30 Commonwealth Blvd. in Glen Oaks.

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.